Replacing handlebar switch assemblies

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
brschillinger
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Royal Enfield Bullet

Replacing handlebar switch assemblies

Postby brschillinger » Tue May 17, 2011 8:42 am

After a failed attempt at repairing the hazard flasher button on my '94 Aspencade, I opted to replace the whole turn signal/high beam/hazard switch assembly. I checked the Steve Saunders site and tried following the threads found there. My problem is being able to reach the plugs on the cable ends where they connect above the radiator fan. I have removed the fairing front cover, under cover, radiator shroud, both fairing lower covers, read side covers, front side cover, fairing inner cover, ignition switch cover, top inner covers and the top compartment. I've loosened the radiator (without removing hoses, so it's not completely out of the way) and still I can't seem to be able to get my hand in to reach the connectors. While I think I can release the connector locking tab from the outside of the connector holder, I am not sure how I would feed the new connector back into the proper position.

Has anyone else done this and how much of the "tupperware" did you have to remove? Is it necessary to remove the main fairing? I have also removed the headlight assembly as I am planning on upgrading the bulbs to Sylvania Silver Star Ultra's and need to adjust the windshield height tension levers, so the mirrors are also removed. Is it that much more work (and would it be worthwhile) to remove the instrument cluster and main fairing?

Thanks for any assistance!

raycw
Motorcycle: 88 GL1500

Re: Replacing handlebar switch assemblies

Postby raycw » Fri May 27, 2011 11:50 am

You are soooo close!!

All you need to do now is to pull the fan motor. Not both… just the one that has the wires for your switch that you're replacing.

The fan motors can be a little intimidating but you don't have to pull the fairing and you've probably got more plastic removed now than you really need.

The fans are snug… both coming out and going back in. Especially when reassembling it helps to lube the snot out of the frame and the fan.

On the bottom of the fan housing is a 'plastic protrusion'. It fits into a rubber grommet… you'll see it when the fan comes out.
You gotta make sure to get the protrusion back into the grommet when you slide the fans back in…. they won't fit right if you don't.

brschillinger
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Royal Enfield Bullet

Re: Replacing handlebar switch assemblies

Postby brschillinger » Tue May 31, 2011 7:09 am

Thanks for the reply. I did remove both of the radiator fans - the turn signal wiring harness has a connector on each side of the bike and I was also replacing the cruise/starter switch assembly as well. Removing the fans made it possible to easily reach the connectors, and you are right, they are a tight fit. I also removed the instrument cluster as it made it easier to gain full access to the wire harness ties. I was able to undo the ties without removing the instrument cluster, but it was much easier refitting the ties with it removed. In retrospect, the time spent would have been significantly less if I had just removed the few extra pieces (fans and instrument cluster) at the beginning instead of trying to get by without removing them.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”