Shift lever replacement

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
psu1
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Shift lever replacement

Postby psu1 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:27 am

Hello everyone,

I'm a guy lucky enough to find an '88 GW w/ 152 orig. miles. It now has a whopping 179 miles. Not registered or inspected yet. Had to take a break from the project due to periodic lower back issues.

I could not get comfortable at all with the stock pegs. Legs too long and not as flexible as 25 years ago (when I last rode a smaller bike). I was lucky to find a gent on this forum to trade my pegs for boards w/ a heal/toe shifter. I was able to modify them and move them slightly down and forward. More comfortable but not desirable yet.

The heal/toe shifter came with a longer shift lever. It was also offset as the H/T pedal was more to the left. The shift pedal is the type which just "loops" around the shift lever.

I would like to move the entire H/T pedal even more forward than I've already done. That won't be tough. What I need now is a shorter shifter lever like the original but offset like the long replacement. After looking on eBay I see several from older GW 1000, 1100,and 1200s.

The length of the present lever is approx. 6 inches from center to center. The images on eBay look to be shorter than this which is ideal. Prices are cheap so no big loss if things don't work out.

My big question is if anyone can tell me if the shift levers from the older wings will fit on my "newer" 88. Are the gear patterns the same or at least close?

I'll try to enclose a picture. Again, I require a lever with an offset of approx. 1 inch but also having a shorter length than my present piece.

Thanks in advance. BTW, the top picture is what the original stock looked like.

psu

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”