Broken RR Shock Lower Connector Broken

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
HillVR
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Broken RR Shock Lower Connector Broken

Postby HillVR » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:50 pm

After lifting the bags to remove my rear wheel I found the connector the bolt goes through on the bottom of the air shock broken off the shock. I removed the shock and broken lower connector and was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I think this has been this way since I bought the bike about a month ago. The air suspension has been working fine before I found this. I have seen that many of you have upgraded your shocks, but at this point, $$$ is an issue. If someone has one that they have taken off, I would love to buy it (scared of E-Bay). Please advise me if there is a way to reweld this without damaging the internals. Thanks a bunch, Vern
Attachments
RR Shock Lower Connector
RR Shock Lower Connector

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: Broken RR Shock Lower Connector Broken

Postby trike lady » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Contact a trike shop as they usually have parts left over from conversions that owners don't want.
I'm not a fan of e-bay either would rather contact salvage yards like www.usedgoldwingparts.com
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

dan1951
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby dan1951 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:37 pm

With the shock fully extended and most of the upper shock wrapped with a wet towel, I do not see why it could not be tig welded, With the eyelet bushing removed. See what a weld shop thinks.

HillVR

Postby HillVR » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:56 pm

Thanks, Dan1951. I have a tool and die buddy who I am going to have look at it. You can see from the bottom that it has been pounding for a while. I was going to try to run a tap in the hole, run a bolt into it and try to pull the bottom a bit flatter, but it seems faily beefy right there. I hope he can just add a little more of a bead and leave it as it is. I am really glad I got into this, as it has given me a chance to get a lot of issues rectified. What a beast this bike is...I just love riding it. Thanks, again!

HillVR

Postby HillVR » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:07 pm

After getting the shock TIG welded and getting it refilled with oil I installed it and it works like new. I did overfill the shock with 5w fork oil so when I took it off the stand she leaked the excess out. After several up and downs she quit leaking and holds pressure like a champ. Anybody got an idea to replace the boot that does not cost the $40 Honda wants? Let me know if you have a boot idea. I guess it's time to refill the front fork next!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”