Drive shaft install problem

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
HillVR
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Drive shaft install problem

Postby HillVR » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:42 pm

I just replaced the oil in my final drive and greased both ends of my driveshaft. I can see the yoke and that it is lying inside the swingarm pointing slightly down, I have tried numerous times to line up the splines but each time they only go in part way and don't seen to want to go in anymore (it came apart fine). I can get all 4 bolts started but I am afraid to tighten then and possibly damage the inner splines. Is the spring strong enough to hold it apart or I am I not lined up right? I have pulled the final drive side of the shaft out and moved tooth by tooth to get it to align with the yoke side without success. Thanks for your insights, Vern

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Drive shaft install problem

Postby MikeB » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:23 am

Hi Vern. The short answer is yes, the spring is strong enough to make it feel like the final drive and shaft are not seating. To convince yourself, hold the shaft in a vise and push on the spring to see how strong it is. Then with the shaft removed from the final drive, push it into the swing arm and U-Joint and feel the tension. Now leave the shaft in the swing arm and universal joint. Pick up the final drive and push it into place and slide the studs into the swing arm. Install the nuts and snug them. It should work just fine.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

HillVR

Postby HillVR » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:27 pm

Thanks again, Mike! Just got my shock back from the and am going to reassemble it all tomorrow. Just wanted to make sure I did not mess up the splines. I'm glad I got to take apart and fix a lot of neglected areas.

HillVR

Postby HillVR » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:09 am

I got it together with some help from my son (an aerospace engineer), a broken golf club and romex. We jacked up the swingarm, inserted the shaft of the golf club into the yoke and lifted it it up, then we ran a piece of Romex under the yoke from the boot to hold it up. The driveshaft went right in. Just thought I'd let everyone know what worked for me.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”