Stuck Throttle

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Please Support our Sponsors!

Stuck Throttle

Postby bjtex » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:04 am

I have a 1993 honda Goldwing SE, yesterday i took her out for a spin on the hwy doing about 65, when i notice that the throttle was increaseing speed without me. Much to my horror I tried jerking the throttle handle, appling the brakes, but steady increase, try down shifting, no good. Throttle was stuck now at 75 mph and a semi in front of me so i pulled the bike to the shoulder and hit the kill switch and bike came to a slow stop after a few hundred yards down the shoulder lane. after sitting on the ground giving thanks to the almighty that I made it alive with a few more gray hairs. I when back started up the bike after 10 minutes and drove home on the feeder rd. not exceeding 2nd gear, just didn't want to take a chance of it happening again. so does anyone know what happen here? why did the throttle without any warning suddening got stuck and what should I do or check before taking her back on the road again! Thanks, Bj

bjtex

Motorcycle: 1993 honda goldwing SE

Re: Stuck Throttle

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:19 am

You're saying you rolled the throttle all the way closed, and the bike continued to accelerate?

If that's the case, the first thing I would check is whether or not the push throttle cable is broken. There are two throttle cables - a pull and push. The pull "pulls" the throttle open against the throttle spring when you open the throttle. The push cable pulls the throttle closed - normally it doesn't do much, because the throttle spring will pull the throttle closed on its own. But if the throttle stuck open for some reason, the push cable should be able to pull it closed. I'm suspecting that might not be the case in your bike.
WingAdmin
Site Admin

Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby bjtex » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:57 am

Maybe the cable springs may not be working properly too? today, everything seems to be working as it should so i am a bit confused as to what happen?
bjtex

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:32 pm

It can seem to work perfectly fine with a broken push cable - if the spring is working correctly, you can have a broken push cable and never know it - until the throttle sticks. Try opening the throttle, then while holding the business end (at the carburetors) so that it can't snap back closed, try to force it closed with the throttle grip. If you can rotate the grip closed while preventing the throttle from actually closing, then the push cable is broken.

If it passes that test, then you've got another problem altogether.
WingAdmin
Site Admin

1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby bjtex » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:58 pm

The two cable adjusting screws that lead from the throttle handle bar to the carbs, if those are lose, would it be a factor in the throttle getting stuck?
bjtex

Postby MikeB » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:04 pm

Had you had the air cleaner cover and filter off at any time before your little jaunt? I have seen the carb slides get stuck in place by a small piece of debris between the slide and the slide wall. It makes no difference what you do to the throttle cables if a slide is stuck open, I don't think it is connected mechanically to the throttle cable and the carb will continue to draw fuel.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA
MikeB

Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby bjtex » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:22 pm

MikeB wrote:Had you had the air cleaner cover and filter off at any time before your little jaunt? I have seen the carb slides get stuck in place by a small piece of debris between the slide and the slide wall. It makes no difference what you do to the throttle cables if a slide is stuck open, I don't think it is connected mechanically to the throttle cable and the carb will continue to draw fuel.

Well come to think of it, Yes I did replace the fuel and air filter just hours before I took my joy ride! Although I did not see any debris, does not mean something may have slipped by me. It seems to be running just fine now, should I remove the air cleaner again and see if anything is in the carbs or ride it again and maybe whatever was there went through?
bjtex

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:38 pm

MikeB wrote:Had you had the air cleaner cover and filter off at any time before your little jaunt? I have seen the carb slides get stuck in place by a small piece of debris between the slide and the slide wall. It makes no difference what you do to the throttle cables if a slide is stuck open, I don't think it is connected mechanically to the throttle cable and the carb will continue to draw fuel.

That was my next suggestion if the cables came up OK. :)
WingAdmin
Site Admin

1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby bjtex » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:55 pm

Well it all seems to be working fine now, so I will see in the next few days when I'll take her out again if it remains that way? For all who gave me feedback, my thanks to all. I certainly appreicated your imput. Bjtex :D
bjtex

Postby MikeB » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:23 pm

Its probably just fine now. A particle small enough to get lodged in there would be very hard to notice. If the slide is moving okay now you can probably let it go. If you do open the air cleaner again, I doubt seriously that you will see anything.

The next time you open the air box, move things slowly because most of what will fall in there comes from the to and perimeter of the cover.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA
MikeB

Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Return to GL1500 Information & Questions