ring of fire

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

ring of fire

Postby hugger-4641 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:49 am

Found something interesting I thought might help someone else. My '94 aspencade has the "ring of fire" light bars around the trunk and around the bottom of the bags. Every since day one, my acc fuse would blow once in a while and I was pretty sure the problem was in one of the light bars. When I tried to find it I could never locate a short and it was an intermittent problem that happened about every other week. I finally narrowed it down when I decided to replace some blown bulbs. (counting the stock fixtures, there are over 70 bulbs on the rear of this bike) The lenses on the light bars are held on with two screws which are slightly different lengths. I must add, it is a barely noticable difference in length, but if you put these screws in the wrong place, it can cause the bulb sockets to short out with the housing. I replaced all my bulbs and got all the screws in the right place and no more blown fuses!

P.S. I have now replaced most of these bulbs with LEDs from Superbrightleds.com and I haven't had another dead battery either!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”