Tyres

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
dingo
Motorcycle: 1988, GL1500,

Tyres

Postby dingo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:43 pm

Hi folks, any recommendations for tyres to fit my 1998 GL1500. Had a look at dunlop elite 3 which I thought were supposed to be a decent tyre but the reviews are very mixed and it`s put me off. Thanks for any input, Pete.

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Re: Tyres

Postby vtxcandyred » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:54 pm

I have a Bridgestone up front and just mounted a Dunlop runflat car tire on the rear. Join here>>>>>http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/ to find out about a car tire on a motorcycle. I've had one on my VTX for years. :idea: 8-)

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:57 pm

Dunlop Elite 3's work for me.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

javarider
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1998 VT1100

Postby javarider » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:33 pm

I just replace the rear on my '88 with an E3. Very happy with it so far. Too soon to tell if any longevity issues will arise as others have posted. Trying to be vigilant about checking the pressure often.

Scott
'88 Goldwing
'98 Shadow Ace Tourer
'04 KLR 250

dingo
Motorcycle: 1988, GL1500,

Postby dingo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:08 am

Thanks for your help. Pete.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:14 am

I have E3s on my 1500 and they have 22k miles on them but I don't ride the 1500 hard in the twisties because my wife is usually with me when on this bike. They have enough tread to go another 10k but they are beginning to cup and cause a slight wobble so I will replace them soon. The only drawback is the noise. They have a very irritating whine and have had since they were new so I may look for another brand when the time comes.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

bthacker
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800
1977 GL1000

Postby bthacker » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:53 pm

I run the Dunlop D250 on my 2005. It came with the E3 and they were very good tires but seemed to cup badly but I think it could have been my fault by not keeping a check on my air pressure. My last tire change I thought I would try the bridgestones. Without a doughty the worse tire I have ever rode on. I have rode sense I was 4 and raced sense I was 8. So I have rode a lot of tires. I put this tire on my bike and went and road the dragon. I almost crashed several times. I would be going down the road at about 40 mph, hit the rear brake and it would headshake. When I started to lean into a curve I almost hit the ground, it fell over and you had to pull it back up when coming out of a turn. After the ride my shoulders hurt very badly from having to pull the bike up right and also white knuckling the handlebars soo many times. I ride with one guy that rides a valkyrie both wide bikes, we ride close enough to touch handlebars. With these tires I had a hard time just keeping it in one lane much less beside someone. I also ride trials (a game of balance) I can usually come up to a light, stop and balance for a few seconds before I put my foot down. With those tires I would get down to about 10mph and the bike would be all over the place and almost crash. It also seemed to feel heavier when stopped, wanting to fall over. I called bridgestone and talked to what sounded like a 18 year old and he told me that that was the way the tire should be because they designed it to give the bike a sport bike feel. It is "V" shaped instead of "U" shaped. After one ride I replaced them with the Dunlop D250s and now my bike feels like a tour bike should, Nice and stable. It will still hang curves until I drag, I don't need sportbike tires on my tour bike. I burned the bridgestone tires, I did not want anyone to wreck with these tires. Do yourself a favor and buy the Dunlops, either the E3s or D250. The best tire for this bike that I have found.
Last edited by bthacker on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bthacker
1977 GL1000

Postby bthacker » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:14 pm

As far as the person that has the car tire on the rear. I have a friend who has a Valkyrie (not the guy from previous post) and he went to the dark side. We was out riding in the curves. I fallowed him because I wanted to watch that tire done and see how it reacted in the turns. It would rock up on the side of the tire with only a small portion on the ground. He started to get a little bold and hit a downhill turn when he leaned over to take the turn the tire went up on its side while he was breaking hard. This caused him to loose control, the bike started fishtailing and he went over a 75 foot embankment. I was about 2 feet off his rear when this happened, I got on my brakes very hard. After everything was over I looked at the black marks on the road. His black mark was about 2 to 2.5 inches wide, mine was about 4.5 to 5 inches wide. Also another Valkyrie owner that I know that put one on his bike has now had to replace the rear wheel bearings and I think this big tire was the cause.
I am not saying they are a bad thing but a car tire is made to corner flat while a motorcycle tire is made to lean on its side while cornering. Don’t want to down anyone, if this is what you want then that is your thing, I just wanted to tell you my experience with a car tire on the rear of a motorcycle. Just wanted you to have these facts and experience.

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:50 am

dingo wrote:Hi folks, any recommendations for tyres to fit my 1998 GL1500. Had a look at dunlop elite 3 which I thought were supposed to be a decent tyre but the reviews are very mixed and it`s put me off. Thanks for any input, Pete.

e3's are decent tires but with any tire you get some will like them and others will not
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:54 am

bthacker wrote:I run the Dunlop D250 on my 2005. (snip) D250. The best tire for this bike that I have found.

I also have the D250s on my wing. They came stock and handled very well. I also got good mileage from them, so when I replaced them, I again got D250s. Two of my friends on wings are running the E3s and like them. I was at Wing Ding 33, and had the opportunity to get some of the new Bridgestone Excedra tires, made specifically for the wing. They sold probably three hundred pairs there, mounting them for people, for free, and the cost was $279 a pair. It was a close call, but I did not really need tires then, as I had just put the new D250s on. The Excedra looks like a better tire than Bridgestone was putting out before, but if we are lucky, maybe one of the close to three hundred people who got them at wing ding could chime in. Continental has just come out with an inexpensive tire for the Goldwing, that they call the Motion. If price is a problem, perhaps you could try a set of them, and report back how they were. I always liked Continentals on my Harley dressers.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:09 am

bthacker wrote:He started to get a little bold and hit a downhill turn when he leaned over to take the turn the tire went up on its side while he was breaking hard. This caused him to loose control, the bike started fishtailing and he went over a 75 foot embankment.

Hmmm???
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:25 pm

bthacker wrote:As far as the person that has the car tire on the rear. I have a friend who has a Valkyrie (not the guy from previous post) and he went to the dark side. We was out riding in the curves. I fallowed him because I wanted to watch that tire done and see how it reacted in the turns. It would rock up on the side of the tire with only a small portion on the ground. He started to get a little bold and hit a downhill turn when he leaned over to take the turn the tire went up on its side while he was breaking hard. This caused him to loose control, the bike started fishtailing and he went over a 75 foot embankment. I was about 2 feet off his rear when this happened, I got on my brakes very hard. After everything was over I looked at the black marks on the road. His black mark was about 2 to 2.5 inches wide, mine was about 4.5 to 5 inches wide. Also another Valkyrie owner that I know that put one on his bike has now had to replace the rear wheel bearings and I think this big tire was the cause.
I am not saying they are a bad thing but a car tire is made to corner flat while a motorcycle tire is made to lean on its side while cornering. Don’t want to down anyone, if this is what you want then that is your thing, I just wanted to tell you my experience with a car tire on the rear of a motorcycle. Just wanted you to have these facts and experience.

I'm calling B.S. on this. For starters you are n NOT seeing his tire doing anything but roll. If you were as close as you say you were you were looking almost straight down and if you were cornering as hard as you say you were you either went off the road because you were not watching where YOU were going or you ran into him if he braked as hard as you say he did. I just made a six hundred mile round trip on my wing with the Dunlop run flat. I went ten miles on a gravel road that gave me the good old pucker factor. Some steep climbs and inclines with some fairly sharp turns at the top or bottom and running through some pretty soupy sand with cars coming at me. There was a stop sign in the middle of all this too. The bike was a dream. On the trip back I ran into some pretty heavy rain and some really assnine drivers that did not know what to do in the rain. I ran sixty plus the entire time and the bike never once hydroplaned or lost traction and I had a few hard stops too. Got held up in a massive traffic jam due to an accident too. So while you may THINK you saw what you saw I know of pro circuit racers that can't look down at a tire for any amount of time without something bad happening at least to be able to tell WHAT a tire is doing. Thats why guys have mounted cameras on the bike to see what actually happens and it is nothing like what you explained here. I'm the guy that went off a seventy foot ravine last year in North Carolina and if I had had the car tire on I believe we would have made it. We would have kept the bike on the road for sure.

bthacker
1977 GL1000

Postby bthacker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Well here is the bike (never tried to post picture hope it comes through). And yes I was far enough behind him that I could observe the tire. You can ask the rider, we have been on this ride several times at roughly the same speeds without any problems. This time he had a problem and that was the only variable that changed and it was his rear tire that went out from under him.

I don't care what tire you run I was just giving my experience with this setup. Your riding style may allow for this type of tire but common sense tells me that if this tire was a good and safe tire to run the bike it would come with that type of tire on it. Also I do not see your procircuit guys running these tires either.
Attachments

bthacker
1977 GL1000

Postby bthacker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:38 pm

Hay that came through here is another pic.
Attachments

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:00 pm

I'm not doubting the bike went off the road just being able to look at a tire with an unwavering sight, see that the tire is up on the edge, and still stay with the bike through a turn as hard as you say you two were going. I know if I look off to the side at something for a second I have been known to scare the crap out of myself because of verring or heading to the side. I have seen video of tires going through some pretty tight turns and the tire held fast through it all. And the pro circuit guys don't because of the speed they ride. We are on a golwing forum and the top speeds would be about a hundred on expressway driving and considerable less in turns and curves.
These were the only two pics I snapped. After this we had an uphill climb of about a mile to the cabin. Temps were in the hundreds that week too.

bthacker
1977 GL1000

Postby bthacker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:12 pm

OUCH!!! What happened!!!! I do pull a trailer some and do know they can get away from you before you know it. Got mine started comming around me one day in a hard rain, it almost wrecked me. It started pulling the back of my bike around at 70mph. It must have hydroplaned, it was lightly loaded. Had me concerned their for a while.

On the picture you memtioned that it was over 100 degs. I lived in Florida for 20 some years and the sun would bake the pavement and the oil would come to the top making it very slick. Then the afternoon rains would hit and it was like driving on ice.

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:57 pm

bthacker wrote:OUCH!!! What happened!!!! I do pull a trailer some and do know they can get away from you before you know it. Got mine started comming around me one day in a hard rain, it almost wrecked me. It started pulling the back of my bike around at 70mph. It must have hydroplaned, it was lightly loaded. Had me concerned their for a while.

On the picture you memtioned that it was over 100 degs. I lived in Florida for 20 some years and the sun would bake the pavement and the oil would come to the top making it very slick. Then the afternoon rains would hit and it was like driving on ice.

We were attemting to climb a very steep upgrade on stone and gravel. I did not have any momentum as it was pull off the road make a climb onto the drive then a sharp blind left turn up a steeper grade. If I had known it was the way it was I never would have tried it.

giturgun
Motorcycle: 88 1500 gl

Postby giturgun » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:22 pm

I went Darkside ( double this past spring . Dunlop wintersport radial on the rear and a Michelin rear on the front.
I will never go back to the MC tires and if I could find a runflat that fit the front I would rip off the Mich in a second.
Better ride better cornering , and I am a peg dragger , The 88 sees it's share of chicken strip running .
It looks like the rear is gonna last a long time . the front Pilot is showing wear at around 3500 miles but the rear still looks practicallty new.

[b]The Phantom gray is not the fastest wing color , But it has been known to slip by quickly and appear in front of faster colors at times[/b]

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”