chattering

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
badad2
Motorcycle: 1990 GL 1500

chattering

Postby badad2 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:04 pm

i have a 1990 1500 with a motor trike kit on it.last fall i had the chattering .(only when im am going 65-70 mph and let off the throttle). i could not find a new u-joint so i purchased a used one with very little miles on it.put it on and chatter stop.well now i am having the same problem.my question is how much forward and back play should there be in the shaft.dont know if this u-joint is bad or if i am having some other problem.and if so what could it be?

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Re: chattering

Postby Sempai » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:55 pm

Is the chattering constant? That is to say, begins to chatter and continues regardless of how you're riding, just chatters at those speeds? If yes, I'd suspect a tire balance problem first, second, I'd suspect a rotating brake mass problem (drum or rotor,) thirdly I'd consider a balance issue with the driveshaft (driveshaft balance issues tend to result in a noticeable somewhat hard vibration within a small MPH windo.)
If the chattering only appears when you are ON THE THROTTLE, be it accelerating or just maintaining a speed, they you should look into u-joint issues. If you find yourself running up to speed and the vibration starts or becomes very noticeable, let off the throttle, if it's a u'joint issue, the vibration will go away almost instantly, double check by applying throttle...if the vibes come right back, look at your u-joints.
Keep the rubber side down.

dan1951
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby dan1951 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:27 pm

Sounds like Your U-joint again, It takes a little more torque to get a trike in motion versus a stock two wheeler, I changed a rr. seal on My previous 95GL and the shaft was spring loaded and there was no play laterally between the trans and differential,Due to the constant motion of the swingarm. Worn U-joints on the farthest end of a driven force tend to vibrate more, unless it is totally destoyed. The driven force on Yours is the differential when letting off the throttle at a higher rate of speed. The only solution I can come up with is use a new joint and press it in Your yoke. I,m curious on a trike conversion do they use the stock differential? Dan

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:51 pm

Motortrike uses an automotive axle on their conversions and they are modified for motorcycle use (Shortened) and they do receive a new gear set to match as close as possible to OEM.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

dan1951
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby dan1951 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:06 pm

trike lady wrote:Motortrike uses an automotive axle on their conversions and they are modified for motorcycle use (Shortened) and they do receive a new gear set to match as close as possible to OEM.

Thanks for the info. T.L. I always wondered about that, I,ve seen them for years but never seen the owners by them to ask, And I do not get up and personal with someones bike when there not around. Do they use the original drive shaft? if so Perhaps He has a weak spring causing His problem not enough tension and causing play in the drive line. Thanks, Dan

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:21 pm

Each conversion manufacturer uses their own drive shaft design some use the OEM coupler, others have their own universal joint from the engine shaft, and there are also conversions that actually use the original GL1500 drive assembly.
Then you have two different set ups: offset and in line drive shaft. On the in line drive shaft, the pumpkin is on the right side of the axle and the drive shaft runs straight to the engine.
On the offset drive shaft the pumpkin is centered and the U joints and the drive shaft have to be angled.
Most of the time the splines in the OEM coupler do not receive grease and it begins to make noise or if there is a spring load, the spring has most likely lost its tension.

I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”