Ideas on gas mileage and possible probs

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links

Ideas on gas mileage and possible probs

Postby jaysinet » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Hey guys just got back from Sturgis and have concerns about my gas mileage. I was lightly loaded with two up riding and my wife and I are average size. My concern is I seemed to only be getting 30 mpg. I would completely fill up on stops and by 150 miles my gas light was coming on. Thus I was using 5 or more gallons for the 150 miles. This seems way low and I am sure last year I was getting about 220 out of a tank compared to 180ish out of this. The odd thing that happened tho was as I pulled out of Murdo,SD I did not realize my gas door was not latched and had raised up open, not the gas cap just the door, but when this door was open I could not get above 75 mph and it was stumbling. When I closed the fuel door I immediately got my smooth throttle again. I am thinking there must be a tear in a fuel line or something inside the fuel door area that the surge of extra air affected the air/fuel ratio but have no idea. Has anyone ever heard of this? Or have any ideas? Thanks

1988 goldwing 95000 miles.

Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
75 GL1000
77 GL1000
90 CBR1000
64 Raleigh RM5
a few Honda CT's & cub
A vespa, Motobi, Puch

Re: Ideas on gas mileage and possible probs

Postby motorbikenut » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:32 am

Tire pressure, air filter, general state of tune should be checked.
Also check for dragging brakes. Check them cold on the center stand and take the bike for a ride. Use the brakes sparingly and check for a hotter rotor than the others. Ride again and use the brakes alot to make them hot, put the bike on the center stand
again and check drag.
Several things can affect the brakes causing drag, testing as above narrows the results to master cyl/caliper(s) or hoses.
My 89 went from mid 30's to low 40's with a fluid flush and caliper slide lube. If the above needs elaborating please ask, sometimes my wording fails others, I have over 30yrs experience as a tech.

Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Ideas on gas mileage and possible probs

Postby robb » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:40 am

I rarely close the fuel door so it is easy to pop radio cover to change cassettes. Never noticed any form of performance change. But if a vacumn line is cracked the influx of cool air could make the engine suck harder which requires more fuel.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”