GL1500 CB Radio Removal

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
mrrandy
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

GL1500 CB Radio Removal

Postby mrrandy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:35 am

Help! I would like to take the CB radio out of my 1995 GL1500 SE to send off for repair (low output audio, people can't hear me).

My problem is that I can't quite figure out how to remove it from the bike. I've approached it from the top and bottom, and can't seem to access it. Is there a procedure or pictures somewhere? I've googled it every way I can think of, but have found nothing.

It looks like there should be 2 screws holding the bottom of the CB unit. How do I access those screws?

EyeMTweek
Motorcycle: 1992 gl1500SE

Re: GL1500 CB Radio Removal

Postby EyeMTweek » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:00 am

My Clymer manual doesn't even speak to this issue. However, looking at a few of the illustration breakdowns, I'm betting you have to remove the left-hand glovebox above it to accesss screws on top of the CB unit. Good luck. One other thing. It may not be your CB at all. It could be in your microphone circuits. Have you tried another? It could also be a problem with continuity in your antenna. Also, removing the left hand fairing pocket to get to the connectors on the back side of the CB to clean them might help. In addition, if you figure out how to remove the CB you might find a friend who will let you install their's into you bike to see if you signal is still low. If it is, it ain't your radio.

mrrandy
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

Postby mrrandy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:32 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I should do more troubleshooting before condemning the radio.

I think I found my answer in the Clymer manual last night, but I haven't tried it yet. I have to remove the "inner fairing" which is the piece of plastic the radio is attached to. The frustrating thing is that I have been so far into dissasembly that the inner fairing was the next piece, it just wasn't obvious to me that it would come off so easily, or that it needed to come off. My last bike was a 1200 and the CB just slipped out the front after removing 4 screws.

For the record, the index in the Clymer book is horrible; I found my answer by just thumbing through all the pages about the fairing. Buried in the middle of a paragraph, it is casually mentioned that the CB can be removed after the inner fairing is removed. You would think the index could have included an entry for CB Radio R&R.

andys*angel*
Motorcycle: 1988 1500GL GoldWing

Postby andys*angel* » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:04 pm

Dear MRRandy...Awhile back you sent me wiring diagrams for my cb set.I almost got the wiring right ,but in the diagram for the wiring harness there are two#5's and two # 3's .I was wondering if you could look at the connector jpeg image and see if that is an error.I am looking for 13 and 15.,in the terminal block image. maybe you would know..So far so good except fot those two connections.
I don't know where else to look...Thank-you again ...Andys *angel*

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”