Thermostat

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
prowler-mc
Motorcycle: 1990 GL 1500 SE

Thermostat

Postby prowler-mc » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:17 am

I recently purchased a 1990 GL1500 SE from a friend. The bike has 87,XXX miles and has always been maintained by one mechanic. When I picked up the bike, my friend informed me that he just spent $700 on the bike at the shop. He had some oil leaks fixed. I noticed after riding the bike the first day when I got home, it was leaking anti-freeze. I am not afraid to turn a wrench myself, so I took part of the fairing apart (to get to the source of the problem) an discovered the leak was coming from the lower radiator hose at the clamp. I replaced the clamp and topped it off with coolant. The problem seemed to be fixed, wrong. Now when I ride, the temp gauge stays pretty normal (about half way), and I slightly smell anti-freeze. I figured from where it dripped. I have talked to a few 1500 owners and I have heard things like; check the over flow tank, it's just the extra coolant dumping from the over flow tank. Does anyone know how to change the thermostat?

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Thermostat

Postby robb » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:47 pm

I will take a good washing to get the antifreeze off bike or you'll smell it for a while. When mine was topped off it did spew a little then it stopped and has not done it again. Thermostat is on top of engine behind radiator that must be removed. It is normal for the heat hand to be just below the middle and creep up in traffic. It won't drop much from normal even at highway speed. Check the cooling fans because without them it will boil over.

richnhinners
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500 aspencade

Postby richnhinners » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:32 pm

while we are on the subject of thermostats My 1500 never gets to halfway on the dial if it is in the sixties or lower even after 15 or 20 miles. If it is hot or in stop and go traffic it gets up higher but never overheats. do ya think i should do the dreaded t stat change?

robb

Postby robb » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 pm

If the guage remains below half under normal conditions it is a good sign all is working properly. Around 3/4 on guage is normal for stop and go traffic and the fans should run. Check that temp decreases when you are at speed. If it gets hot and is slow to cool down as speed increases then I would say to change.

richnhinners
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500 aspencade

Postby richnhinners » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:39 pm

no its the other way round. I have had the thing in 90 plus weather and that's the only time its stays up slightly above half I honestly wonder if the thing has been removed.
can any damage happen if the thing runs cool all the time? carbon buildup?

robb

Postby robb » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:24 pm

As the ambient temp increases the ability to cool is decreased so it is understandable that the temp guage is slightly higher at 90 than 80 degree. Without a thermostat once the water becomes hot it only cool slightly at highway speed and rapidly increase as bike slows. I would saw your guage is right and thermostat is present.

Thesseus
Motorcycle: 1988 gl 1500

Postby Thesseus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:32 pm

Recently my theromstat has been running hotter than usual, but when hitting stop and go it was super hot with the fan on(during the tear down noticed the right fan had been disconneted for quite awhile) even with the one fan running or two I believe the over heating would still happen stop and go.(the unplugged fan tested OK). The tear apart is time consuming and is at the last clip on the upper rad and is tough to get at perhaps it should be done first but since it is last looks easier to disconnet the hose from the left rad more jiggle room but at the mercy of the Honda installer for the ease of getting at these clips it looks like xtra long needle nose pliers with a right or left bent tip may be the answer because even with a lift you will be on your back like me(center stands) trying to figure out front of rad or back of rad to get at clips. Will be buying or borrowing a set to finish the job off and hopefully the new theromostat will fit. Experimenting with the long - long nose pliers on can change the fuel filter through the gas filler opening, if one of the gas hoses was 1/2 inch longer easier. Perhaps now with a little longer work both rads can be removed blow out debrie and reverse flushed and all new antifreeze when done.

a@r
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE pearl white

Postby a@r » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:46 pm

From personal experience the thermostat on a gl1500 is a pain in the butt to change. It seems like they put the t-stat in the middle of the floor and built the wing around it. Make sure you get the thermostat housing and oring while you are in there. Also make sure you use some sort of liquid wrench and soak the thermostat housing bolts really well, I would advise early one morning and the at night and then again the next morning. If god forbid one of those bolts break you are in a world of hurt. 2 of the 3 bolts in my housing were rusted and all 3 got replaced. As I said above the about the housing, it is plastic and there is a good chance it may be warpped. This is where my leak was. Also I bit the bullet and bought all the parts from Honda, the coolant comes pre mixed which makes things easier. Good luck.

Matt G
Motorcycle: 88 GL1500

Postby Matt G » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:10 pm

I just replaced my thermostat housing due to pin holes in the plastic, as the others have said, it is a PIA to get to. A new one from Honda was $30

jdavidsmit
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Goldwing
first "bike" 1963 mini bike with 3.5HP B&S motor.
2nd 1966 Honda 50
3rd 1967 Honda 90
4th 1970 125
5th 1987 GL1100

Postby jdavidsmit » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:31 pm

:? This morning I started her up and let it warm while I went back in to get my helmet, when I came out I notice a small amount of steam coming from the motor. after checking to insure the gauge was not showing hot I shut her down. after it cooled down a bit I opened the coolant cap and notice the antifreeze was down a little from normal so tomorrow I open her up and see where the leak is. I'm guessing either a hose or the t-stat housing.
David

jdavidsmit
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Goldwing
first "bike" 1963 mini bike with 3.5HP B&S motor.
2nd 1966 Honda 50
3rd 1967 Honda 90
4th 1970 125
5th 1987 GL1100

Postby jdavidsmit » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:43 pm

;) well the good news is it's just the rubber hose from the radiator cap to the tank, where Is a good place to purchase one?

David

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”