Headlight not working

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
holdinheaven
Motorcycle: 1993 Gl1500 Aspencade

Headlight not working

Postby holdinheaven » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:38 pm

My low beam headlight just quit working on my 1500. I checked the bulbs and they are fine, then I swapped relays and twice and it worked when I turned the key on. After running it a few minutes it quits again after it tached up to 3000 rpms. I have since tried the other relays and they either don't work or it works for a short time and quits. Can anybody tell me what the problem could be??

redghost
Motorcycle: "1992 GL1500I Interstate"

Re: Headlight not working

Postby redghost » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:05 am

Just got done with same thing. I found 4 in total, fuses over rated which caused insulation on wires to melt and melted two places of the plastic fuse panel that holds the fuse spades in place. Make certain proper size fuses are in place first. If any are blown, replace with proper size (should be labeled just above each fuse). If they blow, you possibly have a dead short. This can damage relay. Don't know your bike, but I had 2 naked wires too. Find problems before you move around relays if they stop working. They cost about &$35.00 a pop. May be blowing the coil winding in the relay.

redghost
Motorcycle: "1992 GL1500I Interstate"

Postby redghost » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:52 am

Hello again, just found where you was having problems on engine switch, has that or those issues been resolved yet? That kind of problems should be, fixed first! Then move on. If you don't resolve those problems first, you could be instagating more problems.

holdinheaven
Motorcycle: 1993 Gl1500 Aspencade

Postby holdinheaven » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:02 pm

Everything is fixed now, the headlight relay just had a loose connection. I straightened the pronges and everything is great.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”