Starter/reverse circut

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jlewis1770
Motorcycle: 96 Honda Goldwing & 06 Honda Shadow

Starter/reverse circut

Postby jlewis1770 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:45 pm

I have a 96 Goldwing trike 1500. I tried to start the trike and put it into reverse. just as I put it into reverse it died. Now, when I try to start it, the starter will turn the motor over, but will not fire. When I try to put the bike in reverse the dash lite will not lite and the starter button will not turn the starter. I have a wiring diagram of the starter/reverse system, but am not sure how everything works. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Exharleyguy
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE Goldwing

Re: Starter/reverse circut

Postby Exharleyguy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:45 am

Hi jlewis1770, I'm quite the newbie (I'll be really surprised if you get this and even more surprised if it makes any sense). Was bummed to see you had no replies because I got similar problem with my 95 GWing 1500SE. I had problems when I tried to re-start bike after a short run. The battery would run down almost immediately. This happened last week in a nearby town at a motocross bike shop. The owner gauranteed me that if I bought a Yuasa battery from him I would have trouble-free cruising. Right..After he jammed the much larger battery into the existing space, I no longer have reverse, only 2 or 3 "idiot" lights and no taillights. I didn't find out til I got home. Called him the other day and he says he knows nothing about GoldWings but maybe could look at it next week. Any ideas out there? Thanks and Greetings from Minnesota!

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:14 am

First check the 55 amp fuse to right side of battery, the dog bone under the plastic cover. If battery was weak it will die and usually blow the fuse when the reverse load is applied. Test the alternator output and have battery looad tested. These come first before looking into wiring. If you can charge battery and it still dies before moving bike it is most likely bad.

robb

Postby robb » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:41 am

Exharleyguy, not too many feel confident answering electrical questions. After three weeks of rain I'm making the best of my time outside, might even get to ride today.

It is possible for a stock alternator to be good but not supply enough power through a bad battery for complete operation of bike. Largest power hogs on bike are fuel pump and starter. Best tool I ever bought was a $15 battery tester from Harbor Freight, little more now; but is first and least expensive test.

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-6- ... 90636.html

Most auto supply stores will do the test in parking lot. My luck has always been dead in the garage. Can also jump the battery and if all functions are restored your wiring is good.

jlewis1770
Motorcycle: 96 Honda Goldwing & 06 Honda Shadow

Postby jlewis1770 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:24 am

I don't know what the problem was, but I was moving the wires around on the right side of the battery and the problem solved it's self. Being riding for a week and the problem has not happened again.

robb

Postby robb » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:27 am

Could be a broke wire or just loose in a connector. Checking now is easier than on the road.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”