Tire Comparison Dunlop vs Metzeler vs Avon


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
Captain422
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:29 pm
Location: Paragould, Arkansas
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Tire Comparison Dunlop vs Metzeler vs Avon

Postby Captain422 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:53 pm



I have an '88 Goldwing GL1500 that will need tires soon. I would like to hear opinions and experiences and recommendations with regard to wear and safety issues with the tires listed. I currently have Dunlop Elite 3 tires on this bike.
Thanks, Captain422



User avatar
Waldorf
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:52 am
Location: Cornwall, United Kingdom
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE
2008 GL1800 Airbag

Re: Tire Comparison Dunlop vs Metzeler vs Avon

Postby Waldorf » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:01 am

I used to have E3's and I found they always turned into corners far to easily. I had to stop it turning in at all speeds. When they needed replacements I tryied ME880's. What a difference to the handling. Now neutral in turning in. They wail like banshee's the higher the speeds you go but to me the handling being much improved is a small price to pay. If it was a ordinary motorcyle instead of the GL1500, the engine & exhaust noise whould far outweigh the tyre noise.
For me, I'm staying with the ME880's. I now have around a little under 6000 miles on them in just under 12 months mostly towing my trailer around Central Europe during what is their summer which turned out to be nice sunny days and light to heavy rain at least once a day. As far as I'm concerned ME880's are the perfect tyre for my style of riding. Some say keep the tyre pressures up! I'm not so sure about that. I keep the front at 36 - 37 psi and the rear around 40 - 41 psi. When your towing the trailer, don't forget the hitch weight lightens the front end slightly. If you run 40 psi then on the front, the tyre contact patch is reduced. 36 psi in the front and 41 psi in the rear for me is a good compromise between tyre life and good grip in all conditions.

Regards, Tony.

User avatar
Captain422
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:29 pm
Location: Paragould, Arkansas
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Tire Comparison Dunlop vs Metzeler vs Avon

Postby Captain422 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Thank You Tony for taking the time to respond. I have experienced what you described with this bike. I have ridden smaller bikes in the past and didn't know if this was just a characteristic of the larger bikes. I also get an audible howl (for the lack of a better term) in corners. These tires still have a few good miles left on them, but I plan to replace them when the weather causes me to garage it for a while. I just wanted to do a little advance research to find out if there were better options than the Dunlop Elite 3's. They may be the ideal tire for the 1500, but I just don't know at this point. I appreciate your input.

Captain 422

User avatar
detdrbuzzard
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:54 am
Location: 42.23/83.33/636
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Re: Tire Comparison Dunlop vs Metzeler vs Avon

Postby detdrbuzzard » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:24 am

the only tires i've ever used on either wing are dunlop e3's so i cannot compaire them to the other brands listed
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

User avatar
Jheiler04
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:01 pm
Location: Detroit,MI
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Re: Tire Comparison Dunlop vs Metzeler vs Avon

Postby Jheiler04 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:26 am

I tried the E3 tire when I first picked up my bike. Then I made a switch to the Me880 and have never looked back. The E3 seemed to be slippery and squirrley in the rain. The ME880 is rock solid in comparison. The wear on the ME880 is what I would consider well for my style driving. I manage to get average 15,000 miles on them. I end up with new ones every 2 yrs due to milage and they serve me well.

Good luck in your decision and let us know your reviews of tire you do decide.

User avatar
artgrantz
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:25 pm
Location: Manchester, PA
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000
Contact:

Re: Tire Comparison Dunlop vs Metzeler vs Avon

Postby artgrantz » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:43 pm

I have never tried the Metzlers. I have used Avon and Dunlaps depending on what the shop had in stock when I needed tgires. They are both good but I prefer the Dunlaps in the rain.

User avatar
Captain422
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:29 pm
Location: Paragould, Arkansas
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Tire Comparison Dunlop vs Metzeler vs Avon

Postby Captain422 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:00 pm

Thanks for your input artgrantz.

User avatar
cbx4evr
Posts: 1397
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:35 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(
Contact:

Re: Tire Comparison Dunlop vs Metzeler vs Avon

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:12 am

Thus far I have only tried the E'3's because they were on the bike when I bought it. I have no complaints on the tire.

Noticed you didn't consider the Kenda Kruz tire and was wondering if anyone has tried them? I've used Kendas with good results on other bikes and would consider this for the GW. Load rating isn't as high as the E3 but still would fit my needs.

http://www.kendausa.com/en/home/motorcy ... /kruz.aspx
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

User avatar
Jeffy1500
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:55 pm
Location: Fresno,CA.
Motorcycle: !988 Honda Goldwing Standard

Re: Tire Comparison Dunlop vs Metzeler vs Avon

Postby Jeffy1500 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:54 pm

I have E-3's on my 88 as well. They are fine on freeway riding but want to be sportbike tires in the twisties. They seem to like to roll over on their sides where they have the best grip. It can give you a real thrill sometimes! lol! :shock:

emtpcc
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:58 pm
Location: Palmyra, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 interstate

Re: Tire Comparison Dunlop vs Metzeler vs Avon

Postby emtpcc » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:47 pm

Yes I'm interested in other opinions about tires also. I have a 93 gl1500 currently running E3's. They seem to handle just fine but I also notice them wanting to roll over a little more in the curves and the gl1500 would rather turn through a curve and this seems to make the bike a little "heavy" in a tight turn. (IMO). I've been looking at the Avons and wondering if anyone else has thoughts.

User avatar
Captain422
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:29 pm
Location: Paragould, Arkansas
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Tire Comparison Dunlop vs Metzeler vs Avon

Postby Captain422 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:18 pm

emtpcc,
I have also been doing research on Avon AM 41 and AM 42 tires and I am leaning toward them with Metzeler 880's running a close second. Reviews vary from someone "loving them and getting great mileage with a soft feel" - to - "I hate them and will never buy another set". Who knows? I guess when you ask opinions you will get some great input, but I guess it depends on the style of riding one does. For me, I wouldn't mind sacrificing a few miles for a softer compound and more gentle ride. Most of my riding is done for short pleasure trips and sightseeing. I am not required to use my bike for commuting to work which would make it necessary to have a tire which consistently gives high mileage. I want my rides to be comfortable with good grip in the turns and wet conditions. Here is a link to a site with the best price I have found on Avon tires. If someone else knows where the price is better, please post it.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com

emtpcc
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:58 pm
Location: Palmyra, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 interstate

Re: Tire Comparison Dunlop vs Metzeler vs Avon

Postby emtpcc » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks Capt,

I ride 300 miles or less each time. Work commute is usually less than 100 miles round trip and pleasure trips are in the 200/250 range so mileage is kinda important. (around 6000/7000 miles last year) The life of the tire makes it expensive but handle/control and feel are important also. (I know this actually puts us back to stage one in picking out a tire). I bought my wing with E3's on it and they seem to do fine, just as I described. I've noticed my wing would rather make a turn and less countersteer unlike my cruiser. Maybe it's just me and the added weight of the bike in a tighter curve. I do appreciate the opinions as they would help steer me in the right direction this spring.

Thanks again,

Chuck

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Tire Comparison Dunlop vs Metzeler vs Avon

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:57 am

Captain422 wrote:emtpcc,
I have also been doing research on Avon AM 41 and AM 42 tires and I am leaning toward them with Metzeler 880's running a close second. Reviews vary from someone "loving them and getting great mileage with a soft feel" - to - "I hate them and will never buy another set". Who knows? I guess when you ask opinions you will get some great input, but I guess it depends on the style of riding one does. For me, I wouldn't mind sacrificing a few miles for a softer compound and more gentle ride. Most of my riding is done for short pleasure trips and sightseeing. I am not required to use my bike for commuting to work which would make it necessary to have a tire which consistently gives high mileage. I want my rides to be comfortable with good grip in the turns and wet conditions. Here is a link to a site with the best price I have found on Avon tires. If someone else knows where the price is better, please post it.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com


I've bought two sets of tires from Rocky Mountain. They're consistently the best price I've found on tires.

TXAggie87
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:30 am
Location: Houston TX
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Re: Tire Comparison Dunlop vs Metzeler vs Avon

Postby TXAggie87 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:12 pm

I've had both the Avon and Dunlop. 2 sets of Dunlops seemed like good tires. Then a GWRRA friend ordered a set of Avon's for his 1500 and then decided to trade his 1500 in on an 1800. He never had the Avons mounted. So I bought them from him at a discount. To compare them: The Dunlop is somewhat "edgier" - it falls into corners much quicker. The Avon gives a much more stable ride. The feel seems much more sure footed and for me, gives a better sense of security. I also blew a rear Avon tire due to road debris that I couldn't avoid. I was in a corner at 70 mph and hit a piece of galvanized metal that was very close to the color of the pavement - didn't see it until I was on top of it. Rear tire had a slice that was 10 inches along the length of the tread and the slice ended up almost 2 inches across the tire. I never got any severe "flat tire" wobble until I got the speed to under 5 mph. And the bead never let go of the rim - a HUGE plus in my book! That tire gave me the opportunity to make a controlled stop. I'm sold on the Avon!

emtpcc
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:58 pm
Location: Palmyra, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 interstate

Re: Tire Comparison Dunlop vs Metzeler vs Avon

Postby emtpcc » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:42 pm

TXAggie87 wrote:I've had both the Avon and Dunlop. 2 sets of Dunlops seemed like good tires. Then a GWRRA friend ordered a set of Avon's for his 1500 and then decided to trade his 1500 in on an 1800. He never had the Avons mounted. So I bought them from him at a discount. To compare them: The Dunlop is somewhat "edgier" - it falls into corners much quicker. The Avon gives a much more stable ride. The feel seems much more sure footed and for me, gives a better sense of security. I also blew a rear Avon tire due to road debris that I couldn't avoid. I was in a corner at 70 mph and hit a piece of galvanized metal that was very close to the color of the pavement - didn't see it until I was on top of it. Rear tire had a slice that was 10 inches along the length of the tread and the slice ended up almost 2 inches across the tire. I never got any severe "flat tire" wobble until I got the speed to under 5 mph. And the bead never let go of the rim - a HUGE plus in my book! That tire gave me the opportunity to make a controlled stop. I'm sold on the Avon!



Thanks, what you describe with the E3 is what I've noticed also. Seems like a good tire but...... I like that you feel the Avon is more sure footed I've not had a problem with my E3 but as I described they seem to roll over in a curve and that just doesn't seem to be the way a wing wants to handle I think I see Avons in my future. What model Avon's do you have??? Are you using DynaBeads???

Thanks again

TXAggie87
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:30 am
Location: Houston TX
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Re: Tire Comparison Dunlop vs Metzeler vs Avon

Postby TXAggie87 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:04 pm

emtpcc wrote:
TXAggie87 wrote:I've had both the Avon and Dunlop. 2 sets of Dunlops seemed like good tires. Then a GWRRA friend ordered a set of Avon's for his 1500 and then decided to trade his 1500 in on an 1800. He never had the Avons mounted. So I bought them from him at a discount. To compare them: The Dunlop is somewhat "edgier" - it falls into corners much quicker. The Avon gives a much more stable ride. The feel seems much more sure footed and for me, gives a better sense of security. I also blew a rear Avon tire due to road debris that I couldn't avoid. I was in a corner at 70 mph and hit a piece of galvanized metal that was very close to the color of the pavement - didn't see it until I was on top of it. Rear tire had a slice that was 10 inches along the length of the tread and the slice ended up almost 2 inches across the tire. I never got any severe "flat tire" wobble until I got the speed to under 5 mph. And the bead never let go of the rim - a HUGE plus in my book! That tire gave me the opportunity to make a controlled stop. I'm sold on the Avon!



Thanks, what you describe with the E3 is what I've noticed also. Seems like a good tire but...... I like that you feel the Avon is more sure footed I've not had a problem with my E3 but as I described they seem to roll over in a curve and that just doesn't seem to be the way a wing wants to handle I think I see Avons in my future. What model Avon's do you have??? Are you using DynaBeads???

Thanks again


The one that saved my bacon and that I currently have on my 1500 is the Avon Venom AM41 (front) and the AM 42 (Rear). The suspension on the 1500 is tuned/designed for bias-ply tires. I know folks who say that is hogwash and convert to radials. But as an engineer, I tend to stay with what the bike was designed to ride on originally.

While I wish that Centramatic made their product for the 1500 (they don't) - I'm sold on the DynaBeads! I run 3 ounces of DynaBeads in the rear and 2 in the front. I run 45 psi rear and front. The DynaBeads have all but eliminated the cupping - learned that one on my second set of E3's. I got almost 19K out of my last set of Venom's with the beads in them. And I probably could have stretched another 1500 to 2000 miles out of them . . . but since the blowout, I'm very skittish about my tires. Most of my GWRRA friends who ride 1500's without beads say they get closer to 12K to 13K out of a set of tires. I figure a 50%+ increase in wear is an awesome result for a $20 investment in beads! I've also installed Progressive fork springs and torqued my stem bearings to 29 lb.-ft. I have absolutely no front end wobble at any speed and the ride is like glass! Not bad for a 21 year old motorcycle :)

Hope this helps. Stay safe!




Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media [Bot], Ricvannatta and 3 guests