which is better front fork rebuild for over loaded gl1500I h

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
bigl54
Motorcycle: "1991 GL1500 Aspencade

which is better front fork rebuild for over loaded gl1500I h

Postby bigl54 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:15 am

I have a 1991 aspy with sidecar, loaded for traveling I still don't bottom out, but looking for a smoother ride, I like the double air shocks on the back, And I have progressive springs in front with 15 lb fluid, works ok but still old bike ruffness, how can I make this old bike ride like the 1800s.

sparrowhawwk
Motorcycle: 78 GL
83 Int
76 Moto Guzzi Convert
73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
76 Convert #2
83 Goldwing #2

Re: which is better front fork rebuild for over loaded gl150

Postby sparrowhawwk » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:31 pm

I find that the rear of a motorcycle is the hardest to get working right for a smooth but controlled ride. The fact is that a trailing arm suspension, which is what the standard rear swingarm is, just does not absorb bumps as well as the front suspension. I won't go into all the details but I would suggest you take a look there as well as at the front. You mention the rear air suspension but not if you know only one rear shock is air, has no damping and is only a load carrier. The second shock does the damping and is a standard coil shock. If both shocks are air then changes have been made. One thing that often happens with air shocks is that they are over inflated which can cause a very poor ride. I would suggest measuring the shock length eye to eye inflated with no load on the bike. Then loaded as you would be when riding have someone again check the length. Sorry I can't remember the stock length right now. The difference loaded should be about 3/4" less than with the bike empty. You'd be amazed at the difference in ride if you have been running with it over inflated.

bigl54
Motorcycle: "1991 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby bigl54 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:19 am

thanks for the post sparrowhawwk, update my mechanic found the ruffness in the front shocks.
the previous owner had mounted 2 piaa type lights to close together, straight ahead they cleard the fender in a turn they were hitting the fender shortening my travel. he told to move the lights out 3 inches on both sides so they clear in a turn. I'll fix it tomorrow . never noticed those scratches before. live and learn.

sparrowhawwk
Motorcycle: 78 GL
83 Int
76 Moto Guzzi Convert
73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
76 Convert #2
83 Goldwing #2

Postby sparrowhawwk » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:45 pm

That will do it all right. :lol: Glad you found the problem.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”