GL1500 radio problems

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Please Support our Sponsors!

GL1500 radio problems

Postby llmilner » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Have a 1997 GL1500 radio volume is very low, cannot raise the volume, but can cut it down. Bought a used radio and it does the same thing. Cannot hear the radio while riding down the road. No volume with a cassette tape either.

llmilner

Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500

Re: GL1500 radio problems

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:48 am

llmilner wrote:Have a 1997 GL1500 radio volume is very low, cannot raise the volume, but can cut it down. Bought a used radio and it does the same thing. Cannot hear the radio while riding down the road. No volume with a cassette tape either.

Hello and welcome to the site. Try the mute button. It has a habit of sticking. Using some contact cleaner will help. I've also read that there is a fuse that can cause the same problem. Good luck.
vtxcandyred

Motorcycle: 2002 Honda VTX, 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby Hickey » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:21 pm

The fuse you are looking for is behind the left saddlebag where the relays are. It's a 5 amp fuse. You will have to loosen the bag or take it off to get to it.

Hickey
Hickey

Motorcycle: 1999 Gl1500 SE

Postby aperry » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:46 pm

+1 on the fuse. Had the same thing happen this week. You will have to loosen the left saddlebag to get the cover off the relay box.
aperry

Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Postby svorn » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:04 pm

Man, thanks for posting this up! My radio went out about a month ago. No volume, clock and presets wouldn't hold. Read this article and it helped me fix the problem! To add some helpful info for others that may read this, this article was a little vague, but I figured it out. To help the average Joe, 1. Remove left side cover. 2. I found it easier to remove the left side seat bolts in the handle to be able to raise the left side of the seat a little bit. 3. Remove 5 or 6 bolts retaining the left saddlebag. 4. Pull the saddlebag away from the bike about a half inch to an inch. 5. Remove relay cover, which is to the right of the fuse box cover. 6. Pull the bottom fuse marked "Back up". It is 5 amp. My 99 Wing had another 5 amp fuse in this box, but the "Back up" is the one you have to change. Mine was blown, most likely from riding in the rain. That's when mine went out.

For the life of me, I can't believe Honda didn't put this box in an area that you didn't have to remove the saddlebag. All fuses should have been put in the fuse box that you have access to.

Anyways, thanks for this article. You guys saved me from spending $300 on a used radio that wouldn't have fixed the problem. This winter I'm going to attack the auxiliary hard-wire mod for an MP3 player. Good stuff, love the site!

svorn
svorn

Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:17 pm

svorn wrote:Man, thanks for posting this up! My radio went out about a month ago. No volume, clock and presets wouldn't hold. Read this article and it helped me fix the problem! To add some helpful info for others that may read this, this article was a little vague, but I figured it out. To help the average Joe, 1. Remove left side cover. 2. I found it easier to remove the left side seat bolts in the handle to be able to raise the left side of the seat a little bit. 3. Remove 5 or 6 bolts retaining the left saddlebag. 4. Pull the saddlebag away from the bike about a half inch to an inch. 5. Remove relay cover, which is to the right of the fuse box cover. 6. Pull the bottom fuse marked "Back up". It is 5 amp. My 99 Wing had another 5 amp fuse in this box, but the "Back up" is the one you have to change. Mine was blown, most likely from riding in the rain. That's when mine went out.

For the life of me, I can't believe Honda didn't put this box in an area that you didn't have to remove the saddlebag. All fuses should have been put in the fuse box that you have access to.
Anyways, thanks for this article. You guys saved me from spending $300 on a used radio that wouldn't have fixed the problem. This winter I'm going to attack the auxiliary hard-wire mod for an MP3 player. Good stuff, love the site!

svorn

FF0000I see that more and more on these things. I make an attempt to right the wrongs I can. But moving a fuse and or a panel is most times futile!!!!!!

vtxcandyred

Motorcycle: 2002 Honda VTX, 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Return to GL1500 Information & Questions