1993 1500gla

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
teddie8
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

1993 1500gla

Postby teddie8 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:55 pm

Hello Goldwing crowd. This is my first post ever online. I recently purchased a '93 Goldwing from a friend at work. He quit riding it due to a noise coming from it. The only time I heard it was when, after trailering it, I fired it up to park it in my shop. It sounded more like a low-frequency rattle, primarily from the left side in front of my leg somewhere. I've never owned one before so I am not very familiar with the system layout. The seller said something about the timing belts may need done, but I have never heard one of those rattle before. I looked over the parts diagrams briefly a bit ago. Could it be a loose oil pump drive chain? I did not see a tensioner listed for it. Or could it be a cooling fan on that side? Also, he told me that the shop told him that if the 'filter' remnants were cleaned out of cruise-control something or 'nother and a new filter installed the cruise control would work again. I am more concerned about the noise right now than anything. I have ridden many a bike without the cruise control. Any suggestions would be helpful. Happy Thanksgiving! from Oregon, USA.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: 1993 1500gla

Postby trike lady » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new 2 U Wing.
The alternator is on the left side behind the cover. Belt tensioner is up front.
When were the timing belts changed?
If the original owner hasn't changed them, please do.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:08 pm

Hello, welcome and Happy Thanksgiving. The belts are right in front on the engine. Like was stated above, if you don't know when the belts were changed then it time. The cruise filter is under the left side cover and is nothing but a small amount of cellulose. Easy to find and make your own. I did. As for finding the noise. Using a mechanics stethoscope might help. Harbor Freight has them cheap. Good luck.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:33 am

Hi Teddy. Welcome to the board.

If you need technical assistance, I highly recommend Cycle Specialties in Portland http://www.cycle-specialties.com/. They are in the former Wingman Enterprises location near the airport. Mark is an excellent mechanic and has worked on MANY wings.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

teddie8

Postby teddie8 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:30 pm

vtxcandyred wrote:Hello, welcome and Happy Thanksgiving. The belts are right in front on the engine. Like was stated above, if you don't know when the belts were changed then it time. The cruise filter is under the left side cover and is nothing but a small amount of cellulose. Easy to find and make your own. I did. As for finding the noise. Using a mechanics stethoscope might help. Harbor Freight has them cheap. Good luck.

Since I first posted I have removed many of the covers on both sides and the front of the 'Wing. I used screwdrivers as my stethoscope and the noise seems to be between the front and back of the engine/tranny behind the front cover plate. The parts fiche labels it a front transmission cover. I really am unsure what could make a 'rattle' type sound, intermittently, but only after the engine has idled for 3 or 4 minutes. Any other ideas? Hopefully the tranny isn't toast or something pricey. Thanks again.

teddie8

Postby teddie8 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:31 pm

MikeB wrote:Hi Teddy. Welcome to the board.

If you need technical assistance, I highly recommend Cycle Specialties in Portland http://www.cycle-specialties.com/. They are in the former Wingman Enterprises location near the airport. Mark is an excellent mechanic and has worked on MANY wings.

Thanks. I will keep this info handy.

teddie8

Postby teddie8 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:39 pm

trike lady wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new 2 U Wing.
The alternator is on the left side behind the cover. Belt tensioner is up front.
When were the timing belts changed?
If the original owner hasn't changed them, please do.

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I was wondering about a tensioner for the oil pump drive chain as the parts fiche doesn't show one. I thought it could make the rattle noise I hear after the engine warms a little. You are saying the alternator belt tensioner is up front and the alternator is in back? If so, that's odd. I have the covers off now but it's hard to see anything much the way it's all crammed in there. Any idea how the seat comes off? Anyway. I suppose maybe I should save my pennies and buy a service manual soon. I was hoping to get this one running quickly and sell my BMW R1100RS so I had a little useable cash. I suppose I will have to be patient. Thanks again.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:02 pm

The rattle noise may be the clutch basket. It is hard to tell by your description but that is what it sounds like.

The seat is held in place by fours socket head bolts through the passenger grips, unless there is an externally mounted driver back rest installed on the seat. Then there will probably be four hex head bolts through the passenger grips. The socket head bolts are concealed behind four plastic plugs if they have not been lost by the previous owner.

Remove the four bolts and passenger grips. Raise the rear of the seat and remove the seat by sliding it rearward.

Install the seat while inserting the tabs under the top shelter, and the prong under the shelter setting stay. Push down the rear of the seat, install the passenger grips and tighten the four bolts securely. Be careful not to cross thread the bolts during re-installation.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:35 am

Is it possible??? I think that the alternator is coupled to the engine through some rubber blocks ( #2 ).Perhaps a bad front bearing is grabbing in the alternator and rattling the rubber cushions??
Just a thought.A stethoscope at the alternator may confirm this.
Attachments

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”