Tiny light bulbs inside handgrips

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Tiny light bulbs inside handgrips

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:25 pm

I have a couple tiny light bulbs that illuminate the controls on my handgrips burned out. When I say tiny, I mean TINY. It's about 4-5 mm long.

This is the one that illuminates the cruise control "Decelerate" button, and it's burned out:

Bulb with cover
Bulb with cover

It has a blue rubber-like cover that pulls off to reveal the bulb:

Bulb without cover
Bulb without cover

Does anyone have an idea of where to find replacements for these things? Or what type they are?

If I can't find any, I may just try to find some miniature blue LEDs that I can stuff in there.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Tiny light bulbs inside handgrips

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:17 pm

Most of my stuff has migrated to surface mount LED's. The last one like that was used many years ago and I purchased them from Digikey...Obviously they have a $25 minimum order...The last reference was labeled as a "grain of wheat" lamp.
Look online at Radio Shack for 12 volt micro light.It's a 2 pack for $2.I can't verify the size from the pix.
One other thing comes to mind.I remember that model train landscaping uses microlights too.

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Postby ka4yqi » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:53 pm

These are the 2 that radio shack has. They may just work.

Model: 272-1154 | Catalog #: 272-1154
12V/50mA Incandescent BulbPrice:$2.19

Model: 272-1141 | Catalog #: 272-1141
12V/25mA Miniature Lamps 1.69

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:18 am

I have the same deal on mine but I do know that a couple of them are loose. I took the clamp apart and found one not even in the holder.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:31 pm

I think I'm going to try to put these LEDs in:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... 0-mcd/305/

They're blue, and 3mm in diameter, which is about the size of those tiny bulbs. The only problem is that they emit light in a very narrow beam with only 30 degree spread, directly out the front. I'll have to cut the end of the LED off at an angle to cause the light to be reflected/refracted out the front of the grip. However I should never have to replace them ever again!

Just in case someone wants to try, I calculated these LEDs need a 560 ohm resistor in order to safely run off the +12V of the bike.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:38 pm

Oh, and virgil...I've never had a problem with the $25 minimum order at Digikey. My problem is trying to keep my orders under $100.... :)

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:33 pm

WingAdmin wrote:The only problem is that they emit light in a very narrow beam with only 30 degree spread, directly out the front. I'll have to cut the end of the LED off at an angle to cause the light to be reflected/refracted out the front of the grip.

If the LED's dome is pointing in the direction of the indicator you are trying to illuminate but the 30 degrees you speak of is too narrow, you can just FLATTEN the dome to increase the departure angle of the light. I don't know the actual numbers here, but I've done it many times myself. Take the LED and grind the dome down flat, being careful not to grind all the way into the cathode/annode elements inside. Can do the grinding simply by holding the LED in your fingers and running it up and down a piece of sandpaper if you don't have an electric sander of some sort. After flattening it, polish it smooth and clear again with any kind of scratch remover compound (for plastics.)
Keep the rubber side down.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:47 pm

Sempai wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:The only problem is that they emit light in a very narrow beam with only 30 degree spread, directly out the front. I'll have to cut the end of the LED off at an angle to cause the light to be reflected/refracted out the front of the grip.

If the LED's dome is pointing in the direction of the indicator you are trying to illuminate but the 30 degrees you speak of is too narrow, you can just FLATTEN the dome to increase the departure angle of the light. I don't know the actual numbers here, but I've done it many times myself. Take the LED and grind the dome down flat, being careful not to grind all the way into the cathode/annode elements inside. Can do the grinding simply by holding the LED in your fingers and running it up and down a piece of sandpaper if you don't have an electric sander of some sort. After flattening it, polish it smooth and clear again with any kind of scratch remover compound (for plastics.)

That's exactly what I was planning to do, although I was thinking of cutting the lens at an angle, and leaving it rough:

Cutting the LED lens
Cutting the LED lens

On the left is the LED unmodified. On the right, is my idea for the cut LED. The light from the emitter hits the rough surface of the cut and lights it up, which in turn lights up the controls to the side.

I could cut it at an angle like that and then polish the cut smooth, which would cause it to act like a prism and reflect the light out the opposite side...but that's just too much work. :)

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:06 pm

WingAdmin wrote:...I was thinking of cutting the lens at an angle, and leaving it rough:

If you try this, you may want to experiment a tad. I have found that the light emitted from these LEDs has a bias that is determined by the positioning of the anode and cathode inside the bulb. That is to say, the light emanating from the dome is NOT a totally ROUND cone. The projection is more of an hourglass shape, and I'm sorry I can't tell you how this hourglass projection is in relation to the elements so please bear with me. In the drawing on the right, if the elements are at 90 degrees to the plane you've cut, or perhaps parallel to that plane, the light projection may be different. FYI: I'd be very curious as to the results of this experiment.

Okay, you've twisted my arm enough. I have lots of 5mm LEDs here in the shop...think I'll just try this out for myself tomorrow!
Keep the rubber side down.

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:52 pm

Sempai wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:...I was thinking of cutting the lens at an angle, and leaving it rough:

If you try this, you may want to experiment a tad. I have found that the light emitted from these LEDs has a bias that is determined by the positioning of the anode and cathode inside the bulb. That is to say, the light emanating from the dome is NOT a totally ROUND cone. The projection is more of an hourglass shape, and I'm sorry I can't tell you how this hourglass projection is in relation to the elements so please bear with me. In the drawing on the right, if the elements are at 90 degrees to the plane you've cut, or perhaps parallel to that plane, the light projection may be different. FYI: I'd be very curious as to the results of this experiment.

Okay, you've twisted my arm enough. I have lots of 5mm LEDs here in the shop...think I'll just try this out for myself tomorrow!

You boys go play and have fun.

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:55 pm

I'm not so sure I'd drift away from the factory type bulbs. Mine have been there since 1993 and if they have lasted THIS long I'll probably be pushing up daisies when they need changed again.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:33 pm

Sempai wrote:

I need 5 of them, and I placed an order yesterday for 20, so I figure that's enough to experiment with. :)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:33 pm

vtxcandyred wrote:I'm not so sure I'd drift away from the factory type bulbs. Mine have been there since 1993 and if they have lasted THIS long I'll probably be pushing up daisies when they need changed again.

The reason I'm changing mine is because of the five bulbs (I took them apart to count yesterday), only three of mine are still working.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”