1994 starter problem

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
bjtex
Motorcycle: 1993 honda goldwing SE

1994 starter problem

Postby bjtex » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:44 am

I have a 1994 honda aspencade, when I push the starter button, it takes about 3-4 seconds before the starter to kick in, then it starts fine. Is this a bad Ignition Relay, or Starter Solenoid Relay , or starter motor itself? Can anyone please help me to find an answer? thxs!

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: 1994 starter problem

Postby trike lady » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:50 pm

Check the connection at the battery.
Check the connections at the relays (A&B).
Check connection at starter.
Test the relays.
Make sure all connections are tight, clean and free of corrosion, introduce dielectric grease to high voltage components to allow for power transfer.
Check battery voltage.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:55 pm

trike lady wrote:Check the connection at the battery.
Check the connections at the relays (A&B).
Check connection at starter.
Test the relays.
Make sure all connections are tight, clean and free of corrosion, introduce dielectric grease to high voltage components to allow for power transfer.
Check battery voltage.

Dielectric grease is an insulator, not a conductor, and as such does not allow for power transfer. It should never be applied to connections before they are plugged together, as it will introduce resistance into the connection. It's best use is to coat and seal a connection from moisture and outside contaminants AFTER the connection has been made.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:48 pm

From the Permatex website about dielectric grease.
Permatex® Dielectric Tune-Up Grease
Protects electrical connections and wiring from salt, dirt and corrosion. Extends the life of bulb sockets. Prevents voltage leakage around any electrical connection. Also prevents spark plugs from fusing to boots. Required for modern high energy ignition systems.

Suggested Applications: Marine and automotive electrical connections, spark plug boots, trailer hitches, battery terminals

On low voltage and small connectors I do not use it. I use it any time a new bulb is installed or connections cleaned and checked. Living near the coast is rough on any motor vehicle. Use the dielectric grease sparingly and when the connectors are pushed together the grease is pushed away to seal the terminals. While many people may not use it on a motorcycle try CRC Marine Battery Terminal Protector, you know on the A & B relays on GL1500 and 1800 the connections under the rubber covers are exposed and this spray protects them.

I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”