pops out of 1st gear


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
triplee
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:49 am
Location: Springport Mi
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

pops out of 1st gear

Postby triplee » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:31 am



2000 1500 w/ 17000 miles and this fall it started popping out of 1st when I set at a stop. Is there a adjustment or should I take it to a mech? thanks



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: pops out of 1st gear

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:53 pm

I've heard of this problem with 4th gear, and it is usually attributed to bent shift forks. If that is the case, it's a very expensive fix (mostly in labor) as the engine needs to be removed and the case split - it's usually cheaper to just replace the engine.

Are you pushing it fully into first when you come to a stop? Is there any kind of pattern you can discern for when it happens?

User avatar
thrasherg
Posts: 1839
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 am
Location: Plano, TX
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: pops out of 1st gear

Postby thrasherg » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:47 pm

This is usually caused by 2 issues, one as suggested is a bent shift fork (Very expensive to repair usually) the other is often a badly adjusted gear lever, the lever is either not being pushed down enough by you it it hits something before it has fully engaged the gear box, allowing the gear to pop out when the clutch is released. Have a look and make sure nothing is fouling the gear lever and that when you are sat on the bike, you have sufficient ankle/foot movement to fully depress the gear lever.. If it's not the lever then I suspect bent shift forks, but I hope I am wrong..

Gary

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7663
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: pops out of 1st gear

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:26 pm

New to me a 88 model.I've not seen any 'adjustments' anywhere concerning the shifting.
Before you drop it off at the dealer for a overpriced repair,could you look at one thing for me.??

Check the free play at the end of the shifting lever,where your boot operates it.There could be another problem if it has more than 3/16" free movement.
The shifting lever is attached to the transmission with a offset shaft ,so there are 2 splined couplers involved.Each one has a pinch bolt that could be loose not allowing the lever to fully engage the first gear.
Also check free clutch lever action.Does it "feel" like the clutch is operating OK.If the clutch is dragging it may prevent first gear from fully engaging.
It's worth at least checking.

Irish Wolf
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:35 pm
Location: Spring Lake, North Carolina
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda Goldwing 1500, 1978 Honda CM185 Twinstar

Re: pops out of 1st gear

Postby Irish Wolf » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:12 am

WingAdmin wrote:I've heard of this problem with 4th gear, and it is usually attributed to bent shift forks. If that is the case, it's a very expensive fix (mostly in labor) as the engine needs to be removed and the case split - it's usually cheaper to just replace the engine.

Are you pushing it fully into first when you come to a stop? Is there any kind of pattern you can discern for when it happens?


WingAdmin,
I just got an 89 GL1500 that has the 4th gear problem, actually it revs free in 4th as if it’s in neutral. I shift past 4th into 5th and it pops out of 5th gear every few minutes. The guy I bought the bike from said he was quoted $2000 for the repair. Is this about average? Also, any suggestions on where to find a replacement engine?

The Gold Wing also sputters, pops, and backfires when I let off the throttle. The previous owner put straight pipes on it and said he runs only premium gas, but could this be a fuel mixture problem? Finally, is there a benefit to running premium gas in a Gold Wing? I've been checking around and noted a statement that Gold Wings are engineered to run regular gas...thoughts?

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: pops out of 1st gear

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:00 pm

Irish Wolf wrote: I just got an 89 GL1500 that has the 4th gear problem, actually it revs free in 4th as if it’s in neutral. I shift past 4th into 5th and it pops out of 5th gear every few minutes. The guy I bought the bike from said he was quoted $2000 for the repair. Is this about average? Also, any suggestions on where to find a replacement engine?

The Gold Wing also sputters, pops, and backfires when I let off the throttle. The previous owner put straight pipes on it and said he runs only premium gas, but could this be a fuel mixture problem? Finally, is there a benefit to running premium gas in a Gold Wing? I've been checking around and noted a statement that Gold Wings are engineered to run regular gas...thoughts?


That's a fair estimate for the repair - the parts aren't much, but it's a LOT of labor to replace them. That said, if you do go that route, the replacement parts are modified so that the problem won't occur again.

For engines, start looking at bike breakers, or there are web sites like RideSafely that sell salvage bikes, sometimes cheaply, that could be the source for a replacement engine.

Irish Wolf
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:35 pm
Location: Spring Lake, North Carolina
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda Goldwing 1500, 1978 Honda CM185 Twinstar

Re: pops out of 1st gear

Postby Irish Wolf » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks! I appreciate the info. I am trying to get my old 6-volts Twinstar on the road too, hopefully just a battery away! I'll definitely check out the sites you mentioned!

creedfire
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:06 pm
Location: Cameron Park, California
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE
Pearl Bermuda Green

Re: pops out of 1st gear

Postby creedfire » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:31 pm

I have 44k on my Wing that was gifted to me by my father-in-law and I noticed after riding for a couple of months it would slide out of 1st into neutral-no noise-just the neutral light and the frantic attempt to get back into 1st. it didn't do it from the start but gradually got worse. I thought is was old oil so I put in Castrol 10W40 motorcycle synthetic oil and was not better. I bled the clutch and it was gone. I may need to rebuild the slave. I have not gotten much mileage in since then as I am doing full maintenance on it. I sure hope is not a 4th gear issue!

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: pops out of 1st gear

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:33 pm

The fourth gear issue deals with the shifter fork between fourth and fifth gear, which is not at all involved in shifting between first/second/neutral.

It's possible you could have worn dogs in first gear - this is commonly caused by a too-high idle speed, where they are jammed in against a stationary output cluster when shifting from neutral to first at a stop. It can also be caused by a bent shift linkage, where it's not being pushed all the way into gear. Lastly, it can be caused by lax shifting, where you aren't pushing it solidly into gear.

User avatar
spiralout
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:41 pm
Location: Alabama
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Re: pops out of 1st gear

Postby spiralout » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:16 am

creedfire wrote:I have 44k on my Wing that was gifted to me by my father-in-law and I noticed after riding for a couple of months it would slide out of 1st into neutral-no noise-just the neutral light and the frantic attempt to get back into 1st. it didn't do it from the start but gradually got worse. I thought is was old oil so I put in Castrol 10W40 motorcycle synthetic oil and was not better. I bled the clutch and it was gone. I may need to rebuild the slave. I have not gotten much mileage in since then as I am doing full maintenance on it. I sure hope is not a 4th gear issue!

It could be caused by a heel-toe shifter being out of adjustment, too, if you have one.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 1228
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: pops out of 1st gear

Postby MikeB » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:05 pm

This is a three and a half year old post.

pops out of 1st gear
Post by triplee » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:31 am


Did the person ever get back to the board to say what happened? Maybe with a different ID. There is only one post with the ID triplee.


MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA


Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dusty Boots, Google Adsense [Bot], RBGERSON and 7 guests