horn issues and left hand switch assembly

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
budmann
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

horn issues and left hand switch assembly

Postby budmann » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:48 am

Hi all,
Even though I have been a member for some time, this is my first post..... So I hope I'm doing this right. From what I've read here this site seems to be a great place the get information, and I've really enjoyed reading some of the other posts that helped people that had problems with their wings, soooooo...... Here goes, I have a '93 Gold Wing, it has just less than 30,000 miles, I bought it during Christmas of 2009 while visiting my old boss who had retired down in Fla and wasn't riding anymore, my son and I both took the wing for a ride and we were both very impressed with the bike, we both have 1300 VTX's and the difference was just astounding! Last summer I went on a 3,000 mile trip with my cousin and during the trip my cousin's brand X bike developed a nasty electrical issue that left his bike in the shop with a complete melt down of his electrical system. The day after the electrical problems put his bike down for the count he asked if he could plug his GPS unit into my cig lighter to see if it still worked, I let him do that, the cig lighter was a unit I had installed just before the trip and it was wired directly to the battery with an inline fuse. Well his GPS didn't work and he unplugged it after just a quick check, the next time I turned the key on to start my wing the horn started to blow as soon as it was keyed up. This had never happened before, so I assumed it was caused by checking the GPS unit the previous day. Then intermittently the horn would blow upon key up, sometimes it would just "chirp" and other times it would blow until I turned the key off, in that case I would have to key up several times until I would finally get the bike to key up with out the horn blowing, other times the horn would not blow and the bike would start and run normally. The horn would not start to blow once the bike was started, just during key up before starting, and the horn worked normally during ride time..... I nursed the bike through the last two days of the trip and got it home, once I got my wing into my workshop I noticed that the head light did not light when ever the horn would blow, and if the headlight came on the bike would start normally, and the horn would work normally. I even called the previous owner (my retired boss) to ask if he had some type of anti-theft device installed on the wing that would make the horn blow if it was not keyed up properly, he said there was nothing like that on the bike. So, I removed the lefthand switch to look at the horn button and everything else inside that switch to try and figure out what might be causing this issue, that was last fall, and I got busy and the bike sat, I had my VTX to ride around the city, and I didn't have any highway trips planned, so I wasn't missing the wing, but now that it is winter I want to get the wing back together and have it ready for next summer...... Well being an old guy I looked at the switch today, and I can't seem to remember how everthing goes back together inside that lefthand switch, so I have a couple questions..... #1, Does anyone have any ideas what might be cause my horn issue, and what can I do to fix it, and the other question is. #2, Does anyone know where I can find some pictures of the inside of the lefthand switch, so I can finally get this switch back together and get the wing ready for the road before summer gets here. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Budmann

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Re: horn issues and left hand switch assembly

Postby seabee_ » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:58 am

Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:44 am

I've looked at the schematic.There is no explanation that resolves both the intermittent blowing horn and headlamp going off.Mainly because that the horn should not be able to blow until you push the horn switch.It has no other power source.Even if the horn switch were bad,it doesn't tie into the headlight,they are 2 separate circuits.
I think your first thought is correct....there must be a "add on" security system in there somewhere.
Here's the schematic for the horn circuit for your reference.Somewhere (I'll bet) there's a " T " tapped wire on the 'Lt Gr' wire that feeds the horn.You may have to pull the pockets and other covers to find it.
Let us know what you find or if this doesn't pan out .

budmann
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby budmann » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:18 am

Hey guys, thanks for input, I have printed off a couple pictures from the supplied links and I also printed the wiring diagram, thanks for the fast response, I'm going to try to get to work on my wing sometime during the next couple weeks and I will keep you posted on my progress.
Thanks again, Budmann

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”