Electrical Problem

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
shadetree wrench
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500

Electrical Problem

Postby shadetree wrench » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:39 pm

Hello all i hope everybody is doing well, this is my first post here so any help would be appreciated.I was at a friends house today to see the 1990 goldwing 1500 he just bought he was showing me some stuff on it with the keyed ignition on and i smelled something so we started taking panels off and seen some smoke that coming from the 55 amp main fuse(dog bone) the wire from it that runs to the alternator(lower white wire) was getting hot and melting.Unhooked all aftermarket wires from bike,still samething.Checked all connections ,all tight and none corroded.Pulled white wire from alt. too check for short,none found.Bike starts and runs everything works just cant figure out why the alt.wire is getting hot with the key on and not blowing the fuse.Could it be the fuse holder.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Electrical Problem

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:32 am

Not likley.Fuse holders usually don't let out the smoke.Well,I did say "usually"....

Step 1...verify the fuseholder is clean and corrosion free.Expecially at the point of contacts under the fuse.

I gather from the post that the white wire to the alternator gets hot only when the key is on,so here's what to look at.

Step 2..unhook the Bk/Lt green ONLY from the alternator and re-test.It is the "alternator enable" wire.
If it stops overheating,the alternator needs repair.

Remember,this has 9 diodes in it,and a regulator.If one should short,measuring ohms from the post to ground will NOT show a short,only one of the other diodes.

If it continues to get hot , there is a short in the power distribution circuit.But test the alternator first.
Here's a schematic.Let us know what you find.

shadetree wrench
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500

Re: Electrical Problem

Postby shadetree wrench » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks for the info I'm going over to his house this morning and will do that test.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”