Drilling the Trunk Lid

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
curtb
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Drilling the Trunk Lid

Postby curtb » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:23 am

Guys

I just scored a nice used old style, tubular, luggage rack (with all the mounting hardware) from a fellow winger here. When queried, it sounded like my shop wasnt interested in installing it so Im on my own to do this. Ive read some posts on the DIY section about the installation but it was mostly about re-inforcing the trunk lid, which I hadnt even considered. First of all, was that an earlier model issue or should I consider doing that also?? Secondly, what are the special issues about drilling plastic, if any. Right now Im just thinkin "Lay some tape down, set it, draw the holes and drill." Is/are there special drill bits for plastic?? At local hardware stores??

Id appreciate some words from those that may have had this experience. Please God, dont let me screw up this beautiful paint job.

Thanx

Curt
03 GL1800

Curt
03 GL1800
Mesa, AZ (unless its summer)

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Drilling the Trunk Lid

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:12 am

Yes there is a special drill bit for plastic.The pitch is much deeper than a metal bit.Using a metal bit may crack the plastic because of the agressive cut angle.I don't know the numbers off hand but I think it's near 60 degrees.

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:10 am

I installed a Show Chrome rack on my GW last fall and used metal drill bits.

The instructions call for using a smaller drill bit to start and then using the final size listed to finish. They also suggest putting down masking tape to mark your holes and reduce the chance of cracking and chipping. I followed the instructions and had no problems at all.
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:13 am

If you're drilling the trunk lid step drills are the way to go. Regular drill bits catch and gouge the ABS plastic. The step bits go through ABS smoothly and leave a nice hole. When mounting the rack ,on mine I went to ACE hardware and got some chrome washers that were as large as the star washers and matching rubber washers for underneath the chrome washers. I found the Ace chrome washers were a little larger than the star washers for support on the trunk. On the back 2 legs the mounting bolts go through the trunk and the inner liner with rubber washers in between the inner and outer trunk for support. On the front legs I put rubber washers on the inside of the trunk along with large chrome washers for extra support. I have a Kuryakyn rack and the missus sometimes doesnt close its as nicely as i would like.

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:44 am

Ghostman wrote:If you're drilling the trunk lid step drills are the way to go. Regular drill bits catch and gouge the ABS plastic. The step bits go through ABS smoothly and leave a nice hole. When mounting the rack ,on mine I went to ACE hardware and got some chrome washers that were as large as the star washers and matching rubber washers for underneath the chrome washers. I found the Ace chrome washers were a little larger than the star washers for support on the trunk. On the back 2 legs the mounting bolts go through the trunk and the inner liner with rubber washers in between the inner and outer trunk for support. On the front legs I put rubber washers on the inside of the trunk along with large chrome washers for extra support. I have a Kuryakyn rack and the missus sometimes doesnt close its as nicely as i would like.

I agree about the step drills, especially in plastic and sheet metal/ They won't "grab" and rip stuff apart like twist drills can do. Worth the investment.
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:55 am

I used a regular brad point twist drill with no problems. There are kits you can buy with oversized washers but I think the key thing to keep in mind is not to overload the rack and don't use it as a handle to raise the trunk lid.

I've attached instructions that I just happened to have in my trash can.

Okay cancel that. The file extension PDF is not allowed??!!

Here's a download link: http://www.bigbikeparts.com/Sys/Common/ ... 52-610.pdf
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:26 pm

The cracking problem is universal to all Wing trunks - the trunk lids were not designed to have any weight on them, so adding weight at specific stress points will cause cracking eventually. Adding wider fender-type washers to try to spread the load a bit helps, but the only real way to prevent it from happening is to reinforce the trunk lid. I reinforced mine when I added a trunk rack to my 1100. When I got my 1500, it already had a trunk rack, and the lid had a small hairline crack already starting at one of the rack mount points. I removed the rack, reinforced the lid, and reinstalled the rack - good as new, and no more cracking problems.

ernest62
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Postby ernest62 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:15 pm

I used a drill made for tile. I also use it on fiberglass too.

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Postby flash2002 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:50 am

When I got my bike it had a rack, Kuryakin, the chrome started to lift, plus reading about tops cracking I decided to take it off, I dont miss it. For the drill part different options, what I did is sharpin the drill bit allmost like a pencil that way it won't catch.

WOJCIECH
Motorcycle: GL 1800 2009
GL 1800 2009 trike Redwing

Postby WOJCIECH » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:02 am

You can use the drill, which will not damage or cracking of plastic
http://moto.allegro.pl/wiertlo-schodkow ... 72913.html

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”