2010 1800 GL first oil change

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
plesaint
Motorcycle: 2010 goldwing

2010 1800 GL first oil change

Postby plesaint » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:08 pm

I am pretty religious when it comes to oil changes especially with a new engine. So when I got to 750 miles on my 2010 1800 GL that I bought new in Feb 2012 I went to buy oil. The parts people at the dealership almost lost it when I wanted to go Synthetic (which I have used for years in everything). They stated they have seen problems with this in the engine in some 1800's. I bought some semi synthetic but when I got home they had called and said that I got the oil with Moly in it and to not put it in the bike as it would wear the clutch prematurely. I got the regular Honda 10w40 and changed the oil and also changed the filter with a Honda filter. Any suggestions on this all day first oil change?

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Re: 2010 1800 GL first oil change

Postby dragon2000 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:43 pm

You may want to take a look at the comments regarding Oil and Intervals at this link. I inserted comments from the service manual regarding the use of Moly.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10265
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

plesaint
Motorcycle: 2010 goldwing

Postby plesaint » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks Dragon for the info. I did know about the Moly but got so revved up about the synthetic non synthetic debate with the parts folks I just did not pay attention. Kudo's to the part guy at Middeltown Honda for calling me a and saving me more work.

ernest62
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Postby ernest62 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:29 am

With new engines, synthetic will prolong the breakin as it is so My local engine guy said to use regular oil for a bit before switching to ensure a good break in. Not sure how much break in new models need these day but I had a rebuilt engine.

okstay
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Postby okstay » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:13 pm

plesaint wrote:I am pretty religious when it comes to oil changes especially with a new engine. So when I got to 750 miles on my 2010 1800 GL that I bought new in Feb 2012 I went to buy oil. The parts people at the dealership almost lost it when I wanted to go Synthetic (which I have used for years in everything). They stated they have seen problems with this in the engine in some 1800's. I bought some semi synthetic but when I got home they had called and said that I got the oil with Moly in it and to not put it in the bike as it would wear the clutch prematurely. I got the regular Honda 10w40 and changed the oil and also changed the filter with a Honda filter. Any suggestions on this all day first oil change?

I think you did the right thing by changing your oil. How can you hurt an engine by changing oil? But you CAN hurt it by not changing the oil. You should not use oil with Moly or friction modifiers in a goldwing because of the wet clutch. In most cases you would probably not see any problem at all but in extremes, like towing, you might see some clutch slippage. On the front of some oils you will see a star-burst about an inch in diameter that says: for gasoline engines. Don't use this oil, it has friction modifiers in it. As far as synthetics go, don't worry, they won't hurt your clutch unless it has the star-burst on the label. Good luck and enjoy your wing. Look for an API rating of SG or SJ, they are right for your wing.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:35 am

I kinda sorta agree with the Honda shop in not putting synthetic oil in at 750 miles. This being said, and also saw mentioned, break in periods. Honda advertises the GL1800 as not requiring break in oils, but that does not mean the engine comes pre broken in. I put synthetic in at my first oil change, which was at 3500 miles, in accordance with my dealers instructions. General Motors (and others) puts synthetic oils in some of their vehicles at the factory. Break in periods are not the same as they used to be with the present extremely fine tolerances things are built to, though, in the event of a rebuilt engine, I would adhere to old practices. The only thing early change to synthetic would do, in my not so humble opinion, is prolong the break in period, if there is indeed any longer a break in period. Is synthetic required? No, not really, as long as one is religious about oil changes. For those who are not quite as gung ho about changing oil at 3K to 4K miles, synthetics offer that bit of forgiveness necessary. I bought my bike to ride, not to work on constantly, and I go on long trips that I do not wish to be stopping in the middle of to have a shop change the oil. I change once a year (yeah, once a year) and with a good synthetic oil, and a great oil filter that I can truly trust, I shall continue to do it this way. Time comes to put the ole girl up for the winter - change the oil and service all the other fluids, and put her away. As far as oil containing moly is concerned - "DO NOT USE". The moly, over time, will coat your clutch plates and cause them to no longer function as they were meant to.

Not Goldwing Related:

High detergent oils such as transmission fluid are excellent for motorcycle clutch plates, but in a bike where the engine and transmission are using the same oil, this is not possible. My Harley has the option of differing fluids, so I use 20W50 in the engine, 80W90 gear lube in the transmission and Transmission fluid inside the primary drive case. All synthetics. 156,000 miles and counting, without a teardown.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Big Bee
1988 Honda Elite 250

Postby Big Bee » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:06 am

The convention I live with, on the first oil change go with a conventional oil. I did this on my new 2015 Ram 1500. The conventional oil meets Dodge's specs, as does the filter. Now days, engines are evolving, as are lubricants and specs. Keep with the old and embrace the new. The next oil change will be with synthetic. This is what I did with my new 2010 Wing. Things are changing though. :roll:

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:03 pm

As long as it doesn't have "energy conserving" in the round oil label on the container it should be ok. I have owned 4 street bikes (2 1800 wings) and have used Mobil 1 10W40 full syn. in all of them without any problems. If I am not mistaken all 10W40 oils are non energy conserving but please don't take my word on this.

Peteswing
Double Darksider #856

Postby Peteswing » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:00 am

I waited until after my first oil change the second change i went with Shell Rotella i been using now four the last four years love the stuff you can get it cheap at Walmart no molys in it.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”