c.b noise

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
goldwing2005
Motorcycle: 2005 honda1800

c.b noise

Postby goldwing2005 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:55 am

Hi I am from Placentia Newfoundland.Canada.I have a loud static noise in my headphone when I hit a sharp bump comming through my C. B. Other wise it works fine. Anybody having that kind of problem. My bike is a 2005 goldwing

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: c.b noise

Postby WA9FWT » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:07 am

goldwing2005 wrote:Hi I am from Placentia Newfoundland.Canada.I have a loud static noise in my headphone when I hit a sharp bump comming through my C. B. Other wise it works fine. Anybody having that kind of problem. My bike is a 2005 goldwing

Welcome too this site from Wi... As for your CB noise problem that could just be normal occurrence.Do you have your Squelch set at the breaking point.Set it as tight as can be and see if it still pops off on bumps.Check too see you have the radio's ground tight to the frame. It also could just be the radio it's self and you have to live
with it. I'm sure others will have suggestions too. Check to see the antenna is also tight at all connections.
Let us know if it ever goes away !

WA9FWT Phil

englishted
Motorcycle: GL1800, GL1500

Postby englishted » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:20 pm

There was a known problem with CB noise on the 06 that Honda issued a service bulletin on. I'm not sure if it also covers the 05.

salyzyn
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby salyzyn » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:27 am

Check the integrity of the grounding strap to the antenna, as well as the antenna connection. ABS is also a noise source, the sharp bumps are likely triggering it, only thing you can do if this is the source is turn up your squelch ...

krusetv
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800A

Postby krusetv » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:00 am

I just got finished changing my air filter. After putting the top shelter back on the CB now makes static all the time and the RX symbol is on. It was not on before. It changes to TX when I transmit. I don't have the CB manual. Any one have one to download or know where I can get one? Tom

salyzyn
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby salyzyn » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:20 am

When you disconnected the audio unit, your squelch memory merely retained by the audio unit went to minimum level. Raise the squelch level until the CB goes quiet.

If for some other reason, I will pre-empt and describe below.

There is no CB manual. The installation sheet makes passing statements about operation. There is a service manual, but if you do not have an IFR or other specialized pieces of technical equipment, it will not do you any good. It is assumed one knows how to operate a PTT, select channels, operate the squelch or CB volume. Turn up the squelch, if it still has an RX at squelch level of 20, then you have a problem, and it is internal to the CB. For a problem to occur inside the CB because you took off the shelter is unlikely.

Having RX and TX means you have solid control over the microprocessor link between the audio unit and the processor inside the CB. This indication demonstrates a complicated series of digital operations have been performed between the units. This means that the Squelch, volume and channel will also operate correctly as they are all performed using a similar serial protocol. For the RX to stay active means that the receiver section of the CB either has exceeded the squelch level (normal) or the squelch electronics are faulty (abnormal) and has informed the CB's internal microprocessor as such, and it has relayed the information over the serial control link. If the later, the CB needs to be repaired or replaced.

Before tossing it ;-/ or contacting sierra electronics as the premier service depot, You should check all connections, and consider pulling the battery to hopefully reset any lockup conditions that may have occurred.

krusetv
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800A

Postby krusetv » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Thanks for the advice. It does work if I raise the squelch to 15-16. That's much higher than it used to be - would work at squelch of 3 or so. I'll try disconnecting battery and see if it resets lower

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:01 pm

krusetv wrote:Thanks for the advice. It does work if I raise the squelch to 15-16. That's much higher than it used to be - would work at squelch of 3 or so. I'll try disconnecting battery and see if it resets lower

Your squelch will change from day to day or even hour to hour because of the radio surroundings.It is aftected by
the noise or strength of the receiving signal that over comes how tight you have that squelch set.

One day you turn on the radio and here a hissing noise,you have to readjust it again just to keep it quiet.This is normal for any CB radio, no matter what brand it is. What you can do is set it as tight as you can get it,and only
strong signals will break the circuitry. No noise,and I'm sure you will find it works just fine set this way.

Get a friend to transmit and move away from you and see how far away he gets before you loose his signal. Just play with it, and have fun. WA9FWT Phil

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”