Amplifier from Premium Audio on EU Model

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
hanspi59
Motorcycle: GL1800

Amplifier from Premium Audio on EU Model

Postby hanspi59 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Hello everybody

I Have a 2007 Model from Europe, with Airbag, Confort Package and Navigation System.

As you know, the european model has normally no additional amplifier as the premium audio system in the US.

Now i became such an additional amplifiere.

I will put this amplifier on my bike. I already changed all the plugs on the amplifier and hooked it up, between the output of the ausio system and the 4 speakers.

The amplifier has the required power and the ground. All connections i made corret.

But no sound is coming out.

Has anybody an idea, if there is amiossing signal, lik a muting signal ?

With best regards

Hanspi59 from switzerland.

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Re: Amplifier from Premium Audio on EU Model

Postby gareva1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:14 pm

I dont want to insult your intelligence, but I assume you have checked the mute button on the handlebars, and are sure that you are trying to listen to a valid source through the speakers?

Is this the honda amp, or an aftermarket? Some aftermarket amps use a trigger wire (blue colored wire in the car stereo world here in the US, don't know about other countries)...I have no idea where you would connect it, but it may be a start. Have you verified that you can connect a separate car stereo to the amp and push audio to the speakers?

hanspi59
Motorcycle: GL1800

Postby hanspi59 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:40 pm

Hello Greva1

I have the Original Amplifier from the Premium System.
I checked the amplifier on the GL1800 of cours the output was set to speaker and also the mute button is not pressed.

I also checked the amplifier on a external audiounit but it also is not working.
When i listen to the speaker a silent noise is there but no sound.

It seems like a mutefunction on the amplifier is active.

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:13 pm

Are you familiar with the gl1800riders.com forum?

There is a member on there named LarryM that is currently doing some modifications to the goldwing audio system...he is becoming quite intimate with the design of the radio, and he may be your best bet for help on this.

I suggest you join over there if you haven't already, and try to send him a private message; I'm sure Larry would be happy to help you sort it out. I've removed my amp, but I've never tried retrofitting it to a bike that didnt already have the connections for it...

To me, if you were going down that route, it would be cheaper to buy an aftermarket amp and rig it inline---I know lots of people who put subwoofers in their wing trunks and have an amp in a saddlebag...only downside is the loss of saddlebag space, as the stock amp fits above the rear wheel.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”