Gl1800 and Avon Cobra tires

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Gl1800 and Avon Cobra tires

Postby themainviking » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:05 am

Has anyone had experience with running Avon Cobra tires on a GL1800. If so, please respond here and tell me what you liked, did not like, and handling and mileage characteristics that you experienced, in your opinion. Please do not respond with information on all the other tires out there, as I want to keep this short and concise. I know about the others, I want to know about Avon Cobras for a big touring bike.

Thanks
Viking

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

rabbott5
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Re: Gl1800 and Avon Cobra tires

Postby rabbott5 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:13 am

I put my first set on about 1000 miles ago. So I can't help with a mileage report. I like the feel of the ride, not to harsh and not to soft. They seem to handle well. I have Avons (different model) on my sport-tour as well and I am very pleased with mileage and handling. After my Rocky Mountain trip in June I'll post more about them.

wayne ian
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 2006 suzuki C50ct

Postby wayne ian » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:15 pm

I have them on my 06 and really like them. As for mileage. I only have about 15000 on them. I had ME880's on before that and did notice a difference in the feel of bike after the change. I will buy them again.

Mike 545
Motorcycle: Blue 2012 GL1800
1995 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby Mike 545 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Wayne, how did they effect mpg?

Bouvier1
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl 1800A

Postby Bouvier1 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:02 am

You may have seen a couple of inserts by myself in the past. I test rode for Avon/Cooper tyres when they first came out (then got free tyres for a few years until the motorcycle manager left) and I can say that I only use Avon Cobras as I think they are very good. The only problem I have ever found is when new and crossing a white line in the wet the back end tended to twitch. Having said that I believe I am quite an aggressive rider for the bike style and tend to push it. Cornering is excellent and the feel is great. I found an average milage about 12-15000 miles - the roads over here are full of pot holes and the tyres get a load of abuse from them so higher milage should be possible - but everything is relative to speed, road conditions, weight etc. No doubt further miles can be gained at lower speeds. As for the milage I get up to 45 mpg depending on the right hand of course.
During the testing I took my hands off at over 100 and the bike continued in a straight line without problems - not recomended to anyone on a normal highway. One more thing you must keep an eye on the tyre pressures as running slightly under or over tends to increase tyre wear.

wayne ian
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 2006 suzuki C50ct

Postby wayne ian » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:34 pm

Honestly I never noticed a difference in mileage. That doesn't mean it didn't change, just I didn't look for change.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Okay, thanks guys. I ordered a set. I used to run Avons occasionally on my Harley, and found they were no better or worse than most, like Dunlops. I found with the Harley Softail that Continental Conti Tours would get me the best performance and the most mileage wear. With a dresser Harley, it was Michelin radials. With this wing, mostly around here folks are running Dunlop Elite 3, and my stock tires were Dunlop D250 tires. I want to try something different for handling, grip and mileage, as the Dunlops have the first two, but not the third. So, when my Dyna beads and tires all get here, I will be able to start on answering my own question, and hopefully varifying what you have told me.

Again, thanks.
Viking

ImageImage

Sladep
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Airbag,
2004 Kawasaki KDX 220
2000 Kawasaki KDX 220
2000 Honda XR100R

Postby Sladep » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:18 pm

Hey Viking,
Just saw your post so I wanted to offer my feedback on the Avon Cobras, even though you probably are already a happy owner. I'm on my second set. Great handling, turn-in, confidence, steering, braking. Much better than my Metzlers, Dunlops, et al. I'm only getting about 7,000 per set, but I ride it hard. My rear always begins cupping about 6,000 miles, which produces the front end shake when decelerating, esp. with hands off the bars. I run 41 psi front, 42 psi rear, and ensure it's spot-on before every ride. What's been your experience with the DynaBeads?

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:18 am

Well, guess it is time for a report. Yes, I would buy these tires again, as so far, with over 10K on them, they have functioned most excellently. They show very little wear yet, but I am not fooled. When they start to show wear, they then quickly become worn out :lol: I put Dyna Beads in them at installation time, and they have run perfectly balanced now for 10K miles. (these are miles as I have converted from the 16K kilometers I have ridden on these tires) This was one entire season (a short one this year due to problematic weather conditions in the Great Wet and White North this past fall). I hope to get most of next season out of these tires. They are not as sticky as Dunlops, which are the only other tire I have run on this bike so far, and the Dunlops did give me about 16K miles. I did have a problem with early cupping on the original Dunlops which I did not see from these Avons. A slightly higher pressure in the Dunlops took care of the problem. I ran 43 front and 41 rear for the remainder of the life of the Dunlops. I am running stock pressures in the Avons to date.

ImageImage

RocketMoto
Motorcycle: '06 GL1800A - and about 10 others!

Postby RocketMoto » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:58 am

We had a set of Cobra's on our '06 Demo bike. Great tire - comfortable ride, awesome grip wet or dry, what's not to like? So much better than the Dunlop E3's... so I thought.

About 3K miles on them, we were in Pennsylvania, on our way to North Carolina, first day of our vacation. Over the course of the day, the the bike was vibrating - and it just got worse and worse. By the time we made it to central PA, the bike was shaking violently - essentially unrideable. Ducked into a small, local Honda shop. The owner rode the bike, came back five minutes later, says "I know what's wrong - it's your rear tire". Sure enough, they removed the rear tire and there was a blister in it, the size of a baseball; the inner cord had separated... Swell.

The dealer told me they had so many problems with the Cobra's they would not sell them any longer. So, they installed a pair of E3's - I didn't want to run a different front/rear tire combo. The E3's are my last choice tire, because they just plain suck. But, better than no tires, right?

So, bottom line is, no more Cobra's for me (or E3's for that matter). This is too bad, because I run Avon's on some of my vintage bikes, and they're terrific. The Cobra's not so much. YMMV...
=Adam=
RocketMoto.com
Like us on Facebook -- Follow us on Twitter
Autocom | Clearwater Lights | Sena Bluetooth | Scala Rider
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:22 pm

I I ride with Dunlop E3, last season I install Avon Cobra the best.

FlyBoy2121

themainviking wrote:Has anyone had experience with running Avon Cobra tires on a GL1800. If so, please respond here and tell me what you liked, did not like, and handling and mileage characteristics that you experienced, in your opinion. Please do not respond with information on all the other tires out there, as I want to keep this short and concise. I know about the others, I want to know about Avon Cobras for a big touring bike.

Thanks
Viking

93aspy
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 ABS

Postby 93aspy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:51 pm

I started running Avon Cobra's on my 09 last year... I have about 6000 miles on them so far and they are performing well... Good handling in both wet and dry conditions... My only complaint is that they are getting a bit noisy now - they sing quite a bit until I input some turn... I would guess I'll get at least another 6K out of them by the way they look now - time will tell, ad oh, BTW, I am running Centramatic balancers which were installed at about the 5000 mile mark on the tires... Little to no cupping so far - I usually run 41f/42r solo and 2-up...

Les
4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

Darkside # 1574 - Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT-45
Honorary Wild Rhino 6/2014

Flyn Tiger
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Postby Flyn Tiger » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:34 pm

Hello Main Viking. You had the question I was looking for... I figure by now you have used up that last set of Avon Cobra tires. What kind of mileage did you end up getting out of them? I have been using Bridgestones and Dunlop E 3's. Barely got 12k out of the Bridgestones and got 17K out of my one set of Dunlops. I ride alot and it seems like I am constantly changing tires and was looking at the Avon Cobras. Hear I may could get more miles out of the Avons. I think you use the dyna beads. I was using them but now use RideOn. It will seal a puncture and also balances the tire all the time PLUS keeps the tire cooler for more mileage. You should try it. Anyway, any more info on this tire will be greatly appreciated. :)

Flyn Tiger

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:34 am

Sad story about them Avon Cobra tires. The front one is still in fine condition, sitting on my deck, all alone and lonely..... :lol:

The rear suffered anxiety separation at about 8K miles. (tread separation actually) and became garbage. I argued with Avon about it for a couple of months and finally had to send them the tire. They rebated me the full price, and then they came out with a different load rated tire for the Goldwings. I don't know if the stronger tire will stand up better or not. I went back to Dunlop D250 tires which is what my bike came with, which I got 16K miles with. I liked the handling and the ride of the Avons better, but not the ultimate result. One thing Avon was very concerned about was if I had EVER in the life of the tire, towed a trailer. That would have voided the warranty in a heartbeat from what I understand.

ImageImage

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:34 pm

Hummmm, that is interesting. I don't own a trailer but my brother in law does which I have pulled one time about 100 miles in a have to situation, but in any case it sounds like the tire is reaching its load limit. What model number is the tire they recommended? I like my Dunlop E 3's, got good mileage out of the first pair although I did suffer one rear wheel slip, a right, left, right fishtail while 2 up in a driving rain. Yeah that scared the poo out of me and the wife....... Anyway I have read that the Avon has better wet road traction and I do like the tread design but I have also seen a couple of posts to where the tire would separate. What kind of riding do you do? I live in Northeast Louisiana so I get some of the straight line riding done but I love to go back to my home state of Arkansas and ride the twisties where I can lean that puppy over so I need a good all around tire that sticks to the road and can get good mileage also. I'm going to produce a new topic on the subject of car tires for the rear....got a friend who runs one on his VTX and he swears by it. Thanks for your quick response..... :D

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:06 pm

I run Avons on my wing, I have the full Traxion suspension package and regularly deck the footpegs on both sides. The handling is great and I put that down to both the tyres and the suspension.. Have never had a problem with Avon tyres, but would be interested to hear what Avon recommended as I would prefer to use the correct tyre on my bike. I will have to check what the load rating is on my current rear tyre..

Gary

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:16 am

Gary, I am just throwing numbers around here because I cannot find the old rating for the tire I had, but I believe it was a 74H, and the new ones are an 80H. It makes a difference of about 60 pounds is all, but to do it they had to reformulate the tire. I, like you, loved the handling characteristics of the Avon Cobra tires, but that belt separation was scary.

ImageImage

93aspy
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 ABS

Postby 93aspy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:59 pm

An addendum to my first post... I just removed the Avon Cobra's at 14K miles and they were so badly cupped that the handlebars were oscillating severely in the 15-20MPH range... The rears were badly cupped as well and my dealer service manager told me it was not unusual to see the backs come in with chinks of rubber missing at that mileage level :shock:

I just installed a set of Bridgestones so we'll see how they do compared to the Cobras... I don't believe I will be using Cobras again!!

Les
4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

Darkside # 1574 - Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT-45
Honorary Wild Rhino 6/2014

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:16 pm

If I stay with MT on the rear of my bike, I will keep Dunlops first then a Bridgestone. I have a old Bridgestone here that didn't have a cupping shape per say but I bumpy feeling instead. My Dunlop that I have on the front of my bike now is wearing pretty evenly all over. The Bridgestone has more of a sticky feeling but the Dunlop sure wears better. Forget the Avons, I'm sticking to Dunlops. Heard too much of the Avons coming apart.

jobe05
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800
1989 GL1500

Postby jobe05 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:22 am

I had Avon Cobra's put on my 1800 when I bought it in May. The rear tire, after less than 8000 miles started to feel like the bike wanted to slide out from under me in right hand curves and turns. I replaced it with a CT.

The front tire I left on and replaced it while I was California with 15,000 miles on it because it started cupping (My fault). I replaced it with another Avon Cobra. When I compared the old tire tread with the new (by eye), they looked practically the same. I was impressed with the front tire, not so much with the rear tire. Perhaps I should be writing to Avon as well, I still have the old rear tire.

rabbott5
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Postby rabbott5 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:52 pm

jobe05 wrote:I had Avon Cobra's put on my 1800 when I bought it in May. The rear tire, after less than 8000 miles started to feel like the bike wanted to slide out from under me in right hand curves and turns. I replaced it with a CT.

The front tire I left on and replaced it while I was California with 15,000 miles on it because it started cupping (My fault). I replaced it with another Avon Cobra. When I compared the old tire tread with the new (by eye), they looked practically the same. I was impressed with the front tire, not so much with the rear tire. Perhaps I should be writing to Avon as well, I still have the old rear tire.

I'll agree I'm happier with the front Cobra more than the rear. I think if I road solo on the wing the wear might be the same. Most of the time I ride to up with a moderate of gear. I like the combo and have no real complaints. I'm replacing two rear per front tire now.

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:36 pm

From what I have read, the rear tire is not worth having. I have decided to go to the dark side and stick with a Dunlop E3. I have almost 15k on my current tire. I wonder why the rear tires are coming apart and causing troubles?

tovsenr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000, 2003 GL1800

Postby tovsenr » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:20 pm

I have run 2 sets of Avon Cobras. I put 10-18K on my bike each season. I have had good luck and will continue using these each year. I can usually get 16-18K on a set. Good traction, good wet weather handling. Cupping, if it occurs is usually from poor balancing or improper inflation. With this tire it is essential to keep them at 42# of pressure.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:22 am

I went and checked my Avons (after all the comments on cupping) and both front and rear tyres look great, absolutely no cupping. As mentioned earlier I have always run 42 to 45 PSI in the rear and around 38 in the front, so maybe the higher pressure has something to do with my lack of cupping!! Still on the fence about going to the darkside!! At least for the moment I know I should get another 4K miles before I need to change the rear.. Not sure what to try next (will probably stick with the Avon's unless I have an issue in the next 4000 miles!!).

Gary

jobe05
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800
1989 GL1500

Postby jobe05 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:11 pm

MY rear tire wasn't originally cupping, it was wearing uneven, sometimes from Side to side and sometimes from........... Well........ the other side to side........ It appears to be the bands that separated inside the tire. After riding it that way for 1200 or so miles, it was feeling to dangerous to ride it anymore.

My front tire cupped I feel because I added beads after the tire already had 8000 miles on it. I was leaving for California and instead of having it rebalanced, I wanted to put the beads in. My son did the beads for me. After it started cupping when I got to Oregon, I noticed he did not remove the wheel weights. Thats the only thing that I can figure caused it since everything else was always checked and was always good........

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”