Gl1800 and Avon Cobra tires

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
rabbott5
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800, 1998 Kawasaki Concours, 2016 Kawasaki Versys LT1000

Re: Gl1800 and Avon Cobra tires

Post by rabbott5 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:03 pm

thrasherg wrote:I went and checked my Avons (after all the comments on cupping) and both front and rear tyres look great, absolutely no cupping. As mentioned earlier I have always run 42 to 45 PSI in the rear and around 38 in the front, so maybe the higher pressure has something to do with my lack of cupping!! Still on the fence about going to the darkside!! At least for the moment I know I should get another 4K miles before I need to change the rear.. Not sure what to try next (will probably stick with the Avon's unless I have an issue in the next 4000 miles!!).

Gary
I will admit that I am very anal about air pressure in my tires. I know that Honda has their recommended air pressure and each tire company has their recommended pressure, I find that for the way I ride and the load I carry 40psi front and 42psi rear work with Cobra's on the wing for me. I also run Avon tires on my sport-touring bike. With the model tire and the load I run, I find that 38psi front and 40psi rear work for me on that bike. It may take a few sets of tires and air pressure adjustments to find a good combination. For me, Avon tire works pretty damn good. I would love to get more mileage out of the rear tire, but I'll give up mileage for all the other facets of tire cost. I have had mild cupping with both bikes on the rear with Avon tires. Much more with other brands. I put Dunlop E3 bias on my sport-tour and while the mileage was great, I hated the way they felt.
Bottom line. It is all about how you ride. I change my own tires, so cost is a little less for me. I ride a little aggressive (or more), so I need a tire that grips. I live in Illinois so I need a tire that has good mileage in the center of the tire. I ride two different bikes, sometimes solo and sometimes two up. I never ride across town just to say I went for a ride. I still think that finding a tire that feels good and gives you decent mileage is a personal thing. Finding the sweet spot in tire pressure and the style of riding is the harder part. Don't be PO'ed because you are to lazy to test and maintain an air pressure that works for you, the bike and the tire.

charliektm400exc
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Post by charliektm400exc » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Flyn Tiger wrote:From what I have read, the rear tire is not worth having. I have decided to go to the dark side and stick with a Dunlop E3. I have almost 15k on my current tire. I wonder why the rear tires are coming apart and causing troubles?
From reading through this thread, and others it seems to me the problem might have been the earlier Cobras that had the lower load rating. New ones have a much higher load rating.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Post by thrasherg » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:35 pm

rabbott5 wrote:I will admit that I am very anal about air pressure in my tires. I know that Honda has their recommended air pressure and each tire company has their recommended pressure, I find that for the way I ride and the load I carry 40psi front and 42psi rear work with Cobra's on the wing for me. I also run Avon tires on my sport-touring bike. With the model tire and the load I run, I find that 38psi front and 40psi rear work for me on that bike. It may take a few sets of tires and air pressure adjustments to find a good combination. For me, Avon tire works pretty damn good. I would love to get more mileage out of the rear tire, but I'll give up mileage for all the other facets of tire cost. I have had mild cupping with both bikes on the rear with Avon tires. Much more with other brands. I put Dunlop E3 bias on my sport-tour and while the mileage was great, I hated the way they felt.
Bottom line. It is all about how you ride. I change my own tires, so cost is a little less for me. I ride a little aggressive (or more), so I need a tire that grips. I live in Illinois so I need a tire that has good mileage in the center of the tire. I ride two different bikes, sometimes solo and sometimes two up. I never ride across town just to say I went for a ride. I still think that finding a tire that feels good and gives you decent mileage is a personal thing. Finding the sweet spot in tire pressure and the style of riding is the harder part. Don't be PO'ed because you are to lazy to test and maintain an air pressure that works for you, the bike and the tire.
Hi Rabbott, I do not check my tyre pressures very often :oops: , but I raced motorcycles professionally for a few years and am not easy on my tyres (I like to deck things out) so milage is important, but a long way behind feel/confidence. I am very happy with the feel that I get from my Avons, the wing is a fat old girl, so grippy tyres that give good feedback is something I value highly on this bike. I will probably change for another set of Cobra's with the higher weight rating.. I also change all my own tyres and as I only ride 5K miles a year, I am not too concerned if a tyre does 10K or 15K miles before worn out as that means I change them once every 2 or 3 years!! My dirt bikes go through several tyres every year!!

Gary
Last edited by thrasherg on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rabbott5
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800, 1998 Kawasaki Concours, 2016 Kawasaki Versys LT1000

Post by rabbott5 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:02 pm

As per my earlier post. I rarely have an issue with cupping. The only time I had a problem with cupping was on my sport-tour when I bought it. Tires had about 5k on them, the rear was cupped to the point it needed replaced and the front was almost as bad. The pressure was 15-20% below both tire and motorcycle spec. While proper pressure may not improve mileage a lot, it will usually stop cupping. While I would love to get 15k before a tire change, I know that with my riding style, bike weight and road conditions 10k is average. I'm getting very good results with the Cobra front. Probably 15k+. I picked up a nail on the rear and plugged it around 7k. Due to the harder compound of the plug it started to cup around the plugged portion of the tire. So again, I'm over 10k on the front and just replaced the rear.
Since I mount my own tires, I would much rather get 10k with a tire that has good feedback than 20k of mileage. I tried that once and on cold days or in the rain I had serious pucker factor. If you are riding coast to coast or just mostly interstate more power to ya. Just saying, not for me. Watch the pressure and you will be happier with whatever you run.

JimGarrett
Motorcycle: 2004 GOLDWING CSC, 1300 VTX R, VLX600

Post by JimGarrett » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:52 am

I'm running an Avon tire on the front of my 2004 Wing. I purchased it because reportedly they were the only manufacturer with a true front tire? My Wing has the CSC kit and of course I run regular car tires on the rear. I purchased the bike with 26 K on it, the front tire needed replacing so I don't have any experience with any other tire. I have about 10 K on it now and not a lot of wear. Handles good with no problems during this period.

I have a 1300 VTX that I run Michelin Commander II's on. Absolutely love them. Best mileage I've ever gotten on a bike tire. However they cost a little more on the front end so that needs to be factored inl