Tagalong Trailer

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2010 Goldwing

Tagalong Trailer

Postby tbruno » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi, does anyone have a tagalong trialer. If so how do you like it. I am trying to decide on a tagalong or get a cooler hitch no room for a pull behind trailer.

Motorcycle: 2005 gl1800

Re: Tagalong Trailer

Postby a1coverings » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:19 pm

check out us trailer have small pull behind trailer ( my little buddy ) think thats what i'm gonna get also have rack for hitch good luck john

Motorcycle: 2004 Goldwing Trike

Postby G-man » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:31 am

I have been looking at the Tagalong trailers myself. I would also love to hear anyinformatin on them.

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:28 am

Another site has opinions and most who have the tagalong have stated it is the best there is. I have heard Alumalite is great also. I have a MicroLite XL and it is a great trailer, with one exception. The lid tends to just slightly leak to inside in a heavy rain. I would not recommend it for that reason. I am working on a fix, and if I discover a guaranteed fix for this, then I will once again recommend MicroLite. My MicroLite also came with exceedingly cheap tires, which lasted less than three thousand miles. I have replaced them with Carlton radials, which I expect will be more satisfactory. I also replaced the cheap chinese bearings with good old US of A Timkins. All the above is a consideration when purchasing a pull behind motorcycle cargo or tent trailer, as is the axle configuration. I would always go with a torsion type axle, with or without shock absorbers, and avoid springs.

Hope this helps.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:41 am

I have seen a couple of great trailers while on rides. The coolest one was a home-made trailer made out of the take-off bags and rear fender from a GL1500. They had a shop make a lid and extended center section that worked very well. It used the saddlebag releases and mounted them under the lid so it could be locked. I don't know how much it cost him but It was a very good design. I attached a photo of it.

I use an Aluma MCT pull behind trailer. It was much less than the fiberglass trailers like many have. I have had it for three or four years and it cost me new around $1500. It pulls so nice that I have to look in my mirrors to see if it is still behind me. Go to the Aluma web site http://www.alumaklm.com/motorcycle-trailers.html to see them. One thing I like, is the 12 inch wheels. They last much longer and ride better than trailers that have 8 inch wheels.

One thing to consider if you go to a hitch mounted pack is the weight. If you and a passenger are on the bike with all your gear, what weight does that add to the bike? Then add the weight of a cooler hitch bag. Remember the weight limit of a GL1800 is 400 lb. If your combined weight, of all gear and passengers, is at or above that, I would consider a small trailer.
Take-off trailer
Take-off trailer

"Love to ride and ride to love"

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”