Gl1800 wiring diagram

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
jfgray
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Gl1800 wiring diagram

Postby jfgray » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:47 pm

I'm trying to find wiring diagram info for my 2006 GL1800, particularly so I can interface to the CB wiring harness. I have another radio I'd like to use, but want to get access to the connectors to get the controls, power, and mic input as well as audio out. Does anybody know where I can find it?

oregonwinger
Motorcycle: GL1800 2006

Re: Gl1800 wiring diagram

Postby oregonwinger » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:20 am

You might be able to get this to work, but your existing cb will no doubt have to be turned on. If you don't have an oem cb, I don't think you can get this to work, because of the protocal the radio and cb use to function together. The radio you want to use will have to have a "data" stream, as well as the ability to be recognized by the oem radio. Pretty much the same deal with CD port.

WOJCIECH
Motorcycle: GL 1800 2009
GL 1800 2009 trike Redwing

Postby WOJCIECH » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:58 am

on the CB and the wiring diagram write to me
adalbert1981@o2.pl
describe exactly what you need

jfgray
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby jfgray » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:20 am

I'm trying to interface a different radio - in fact a Kenwood Tri-band Handheld. I use it for HAM as well as access to Emergency Public Service channels (I'm a Firefighter/EMT). I don't need the full interface, but I'd like to get at least the audio, microphone, and PTT connected. The HT allows me to program three additional functions that are controlled by switch access - so if I could use the Channel up/down or the Squelch up/down controls as well, that would be great. I'll be mounting the HT somewhere around the cockpit, but would rather use the integrated wiring to handle the audio. I could just wear a separate in-ear headset and wire directly into the PTT button on the handle bar, but it would be much better to connect to the existing wiring harness. If I can "fake it out" and make the audio system believe the CB radio is connected, then I can use the built-in features to integrate the ICom, FM Radio, and my two-way radio.

While I'm at it, I understand there is an input connection somewhere on that harness to connect in an Auxiliary audio source - I'd like to hook up a small MP3 player as an option.

I am finding some information about pin-outs, but not the entire interface.

WOJCIECH
Motorcycle: GL 1800 2009
GL 1800 2009 trike Redwing

Postby WOJCIECH » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:06 am

audio in a motorcycle is so constructed that it works with a special motorcycle to the CB radio, if you're a fireman, I suggest the sound of the additional shortwave-radio in the audio system in the simplest way - AUX, or use a transponder - a collection of music to the cigarette lighter, tune the receive frequency radios, and it is simple and inexpensive

oregonwinger

Postby oregonwinger » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:46 am

......You might check with Pete at www.bikemp3.com . He may have something just for that idea.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:56 am

oregonwinger wrote:......You might check with Pete at http://www.bikemp3.com . He may have something just for that idea.

Just what I was about to suggest - they have a CB unit that might allow connection for use of the Ham radio unit

http://www.bikemp3.com/GL2WAY-Advanced- ... BI-V01.htm
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

oregonwinger

Postby oregonwinger » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:03 pm

A bit more info from GL1800riders.

Regarding instructions, http://www.gl2way.com/GL2W.pdf They’re not the best, but it’s what Pete has. Here’s the main instruction link: http://www.gl2way.com/Instructions.html

Here’s a video link: [url]

Now to your question(s). The CB will mute the iPod, whether you have it going in via a bikemp3 type player or through the Aux plug. The CB send a signal to the audio system that mutes any other sound input source while the CB is receiving (or transmitting).

If you have your GPS going into the GL2Way, it will also mute the radio while the GPS is talking, or playing music, etc. The GPS input is secondary to the CB portion of the Gl2WAY, so if the gps is talking and you get an incoming CB, the gps will be silenced while the CB is active.

The hole in the trunk you need to make is easiest if you use a hole saw and either turn it by hand to cut thru or use an angled drill from inside the trunk going outside (forward). BE AWARE of the cable loom just forward of where you need to make the hole. Don’t get rambunctious or curse words will follow. Some people use the saw by hand and heat it with a torch or heat gun first to cut/melt it through the plastic.

Verify the size of the hole you are going to make versus the size of the connector you’re going to shove thru. Better to go a bit large than have to try and elongate or make larger. I cut the grommet to allow it to go on around the cable after I had passed it thru the hole. Lot easier.

Spray some contact cleaner on the pin socket connectors before connecting, and slide the connectors on and off a couple of times to help clean the contact surfaces. They’ve been open and exposed to the environment for a while. DO NOT put any grease on the connectors. Grease is an insulator, and this system operates on low level signals other than the power lead. You will cause problems if you do.

Power to the GL2WAY is a plug under the seat. Be aware there are two darn near identical plugs under there, easy to plug into wrong one and have no power.

Use the Ferrite cores provided. Make a loop of the cables and pass through the core (two leads (cable) inside). Wire goes into core, makes a loop, goes in same direction then on to wherever.

lordnelson
Motorcycle: 2009 gl1800

Postby lordnelson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:41 pm

JFGRAY
If you are a ham then you also know that the rules of the FCC do not allow you to use the Kenwood on your ems frequencies. This radio is not type accepted for use there.
You would be in serious violation of fcc rules to transmit on EMS frequencies. Please reconsider this.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”