gl1800 brake system question

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

gl1800 brake system question

Postby mroblesa » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:21 pm

I´m 2002 gl1800 with NO-ABS brake system. When driving and using brakes, feel like have air inside brake line.
However, was checked and mechanics say that any air in brake system.
Anyone have any idea about this problem? any possible fail component?

thanks in advanced.

Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Re: gl1800 brake system question

Postby Juanki » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Do you feel it in the handle or in the pedal or both?
I felt something similar in the front brake of my other scooter (Burgman 650) and took it to the mechanic to bleed forward brake lines but there wasn´t any air and that strange feeling continued. My mechanic (luckily a very clever and experienced guy) gave me an strap and told me: Squeeze the handle and hold it with this strap as long as you can. Inside the brake pump there is a cone shaped seal which loose its original form as time passes and you have to recover that missing space squeezing the handle once or twice. You get same feeling when air is present in the braking lines. Holding the handle pressed with the strap for a long time (better as longer) will transmit pressure to that cone making it recovers its original shape.
I did it and next morning after removing the strap I felt the front brake handle as firm as the day I took it out from the dealer.
You can give it a try, this trick is cheap. Do not tigh the strap too much, just simulate a normal braking pressure.
Hope this works for you.
Have nice rides

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”