tire sensor

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
sweimer
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

tire sensor

Postby sweimer » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:57 pm

My bubby has a 2009 wing that has a low tire sensor light coming on and his tire pressures are fine . Any one out there have fix for this. :?:

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: tire sensor

Postby themainviking » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:55 am

Most tire shops have an electronic code teacher that can relearn the TPMS sensors. However, it is quite possible that your buddy is experiencing the cold low pressure that should go away when the tires heat up. This takes as much as 30 miles of riding where I live in Ontario, so should probably be about the same there. Cold roads yet, and that does not help tires warm up. My bike is also a 2009, and I have the same situation.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:37 pm

themainviking wrote:However, it is quite possible that your buddy is experiencing the cold low pressure that should go away when the tires heat up. Cold roads yet, and that does not help tires warm up. My bike is also a 2009, and I have the same situation.

I've experienced the same problem as you are describing. Like you I immediately checked the pressure only to find out that it was fine. As Viking mentioned, it does go away after one rides the bike and the tires heat a bit.
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

Al Waters
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Gold Wing

Postby Al Waters » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:47 pm

I have heard the same thing that themainviking has just posted. I live in Southern California so I don't see the extreme temps that many of you out here do.
I can tell you what happened to me and see if it might apply to you. I bought a 2009 Wing last August from a private party. The TPMS was on when I bought it. The owner told me about it the night before I went to check out the bike which I did end up purchasing (a very fair price for what I got). He told me not to worry as he had a 2008 in the past and it had the same problem. I didn't think much of it because I didn't know about TPMS on Gold Wings. My last Gold Wing was an 1100 and I had not owned a bike in 20 plus years. And driving from San Diego to Tuscon, Arizona and back in August with the excitement of a Gold Wing underneath you will make you overlook some things. It's the adventure I guess.

When I got back home to So Cal I took the bike to the local Honda shop. They have been really good people. They did a check on the bike and found out that I still had warranty time left. They reset or coded (whatever it is they do) my TPMS and the light went off. Two weeks later the light went on but my tires were fine.
I took the bike back to the shop. They said that the light coming on should not have happened. They told me they checked for a firmware update and reset the TPMS on my bike. A couple of weeks later the light went on again. They decided to replace the sensors on both wheels and did it under warranty. No problems since. Maybe your sensors have gone bad like mine did. Hopefully you have warranty time left.

And I am glad that I found this forum. I learn more all the time from everyone out here.

Thanks, Al Waters

sweimer
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby sweimer » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:47 pm

Thanks guys for the info, I am sure this will help with this problem. I think he still has warranty so we will see what happens. And yes it is still cool here but it great to get out on the road again. Thanks again.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”