It was a faulty ECM!

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

It was a faulty ECM!

Postby yechave » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:45 pm

Just trying to make sure anyone that even doubts if they have this problem, sees this post:

For two years I have complained about my lights dimming, then the idle hunting and low RPM's down to 400 or so when you come to a stop.

FINALLY, it was processed through the Honda extended warranty and replaced by Lancaster Honda of Pa.

The bike runs great, first time since new.

I can not tell you how many dealers, mechanics and Honda USA people that told me it was normal. IT WAS NOT!

Mike 545
Motorcycle: Blue 2012 GL1800
1995 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Re: It was a faulty ECM!

Postby Mike 545 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:45 am

What is a ECM, and where is it located? How do you check the ECM?

yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

Postby yechave » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:17 am

It is a computer chip located under the seat. I personally have not seen it, nor where exactly it is positioned.

There is an exhaustive list of items that are supposed to be checked first, before Honda USA will give permission to replace it.

I was going to replace it when I got the bike after researching the problems. I believe it was about $500, which after having just spent many thousands to buy the bike, extended warranty and a couple grand on safety gear, just did not have $500 for an educated guess.

The problem continually got worse until it was just about to stall out. Every time I pulled the clutch in, it would dip down way below the 500 RPM mark on the tach.

The lights dimming when coming to a stop was the first reason I started to question it.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:46 am

ECM = Electronics Control Module, and it controls everything electric and electronic on the bike, like idle, fuel, injectors - like that. You have to get past it to change the Air Filter, but it ain't easy to get to. All the front shelter needs to come off. It is larger than a chip but smaller than a bread box, :lol:

I am glad you finally got satisfaction out of Honda, yechave.....
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:27 am

themainviking wrote:ECM = Electronics Control Module, and it controls everything electric and electronic on the bike, like idle, fuel, injectors - like that. You have to get past it to change the Air Filter, but it ain't easy to get to. All the front shelter needs to come off. It is larger than a chip but smaller than a bread box, :lol:

I am glad you finally got satisfaction out of Honda, yechave.....

Thanks Viking for the info regarding the location of the ECM. I just purchased a new 09 Rear Wheel set thru EBay and as you know the 09 has the TPMS as I wanted to be able to change tires like I do with my car (my schedule vice wait).

I was told I need to get to the ECM to match the TPS (front and rear) to the bike. If the ECM was located under the seat which is not hard to remove, it is more painfull to have to remove everything up front. The other somehat painfull part is having to take it to the dealership to reset the TPS unless there is a tool out there (cheap) so it can be done in ones garage.

Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”