Auto oil filter and my warranty

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Northstream
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Navi
1985 1200 V-Max

Auto oil filter and my warranty

Postby Northstream » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:44 pm

I have my 1st oil change coming up and have read the extensive forum histories on oils and filters. Federal law prohibits Honda or any other maker from requiring OEM parts only or void my warranty. Honda has publicized their requirements and there are a number of fine filters available that meet Honda specs. I am going to use a non cellulose media filter but the pure-one is a car filter and Honda may claim fault on my part and void warranty claims. Has anyone gone thru a dispute with Honda on the issue?

I am moving to a Mobil 1 M1MC-134 [$15 @ local A*t*-Z*ne] to keep up my warranty up unless someone posts some good info on the pure-one car/mc issue. thanks-

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Auto oil filter and my warranty

Postby tfdeputydawg » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:06 pm

From time to time questions like this arise and much is posted in response, some of the info even correct :mrgreen:
I will tell you what my opinion is, gleaned from much/many discussion(s) w/Service managers, Honda customer service and rec'v'g attorney explanations of the MM law.
The parts one selects must meet or exceed the specifications placed on these parts by the manufacturer of the vehicle to have no impact on warranty.
Doing you own service work does not void the warranty but, be prepared to show receipts dated and w/mileage at time of service recorded, if asked to provide them.
Whether or not there is a warranty claim rejection has a lot to do with which dealership does the work and if a factory rep is sent in to review the bike and the failed parts there-of.
Just because a filter fits, does not mean it's an acceptable replacement. There are by-pass valve pressures to be considered among other items.
With respect to accessories and/or modifications made.
Accessories/parts used or modifications made must be manufacturer approved and installed/made at an authorized dealership by a tech/mechanic employed at that authorized dealership for any portion of the bike warranty that may be affected by said part/accessory or modification to remain in effect.
Example, the owners manual clearly states one is not to tow a trailer w/a GoldWing. Install a trailer hitch, show up at certain dealers w/a drive train problem and you MAY be told the repair/replacement is on your dime. You have no coverage of that portion of the bike due to an unauthorized accessory install, even if sold and install by/at an authorized dealer.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:32 pm

I'm not sure about the Pure 1 but if you go to Purolaters web site the Honda filter part number (15410-MCJ-000) crosses over to a Purolator ML16817.

Can't see how using one would affect your warranty.

Personally I use the Bosch 3300 with no issues.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Northstream
1985 1200 V-Max

Postby Northstream » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:31 pm

The issue of compatibility becomes moot when we discuss legal disputes, the calsci page attempts to examine filters and oil from a practical mechanics point of view. He loves the Purolator Pure One PL14610 filter and provides an impressive argument for it being the best protection from dirty oil. It's a car filter, Purolator will not stand behind me if there are issues, buyer beware. Many riders claim to use this filter, I wonder if any have had A warranty claim denied in whole or part because of the auto designation technicality.

My wife had a car which caused us to go to court in a Mn. lemon law case. The manufacturer tried to claim the store brand filters were the root cause of problem, the claim was rejected, we won. Still, maybe we got lucky, my one legal interaction over an issue like this leaves me cautious.

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Postby flash2002 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:55 am

I would use the OEM filter just to be on the safe side until the warranty runs out, then you can use the filter you want,

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:43 am

I use both filters bosch D3300 or purolator pl14610 which evers on sale at the time.With no problems this far. Sally

WOJCIECH
Motorcycle: GL 1800 2009
GL 1800 2009 trike Redwing

Postby WOJCIECH » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:33 am

flash2002 wrote:I would use the OEM filter just to be on the safe side until the warranty runs out, then you can use the filter you want,

Each manufacturer reserves, to adhere to their recommendations, you need to apply for them not to lose the warranty. Runs out of warranty, I think you can use third-party filters, the filter is a filter, the most important oil-change of a good brand and at the time, screwed the oil drain plug with magnet!!!
Good luck!

snackpak
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby snackpak » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:56 am

I just bought the purolator 14612. And its the same size as the original. Looked at the comparisons to a original and the original fins were not as straight as the 14612 after use.

Northstream
1985 1200 V-Max

Postby Northstream » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:52 pm

Since no one has replied with issues or non issues with factory vs auto [PURE ONE-ECT.] filters, it seems these motors are trouble free in the lubrication related issues department. I just ordered 3 honda filters for $10 each after buying and returning the mobil one extended M1MC-134. Made in China :( , I have NO confidence in chinese manufactured goods, I will choose another nationality whenever I have a choice. QC is just to poor. The mobil USA made auto filter line is cheaper too, go figure.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”