2010 GW broken frame mounted center stand

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2010 Honda Goldwing

Postby joestone » Tue May 01, 2012 10:46 am

I was traveling on the Interstate with the cruise set at 70 MPH when I had and felt a bump sensation, the traffic was so congested it was nearly impossible to stop for a check to see what had happened. I monitored the oil pressure and water gages until I got home (about 45 minutes later).
When home, I found the center stand was gone and after looking for the cause I found that one of the casted frame members, that was drilled and threaded to hold the stand, had been sheared off in addition to the coolant overflow tank being gone. I have no idea what happened, whether I had hit something on the expressway or there was an equipment malfunction. The Honda shop in Birmingham advised they would not nor could not repair the damage and advised I take it out to be welded.
My question is, have there been any others who might have experienced this problem and if so, what remedies were used for the repair? Thanks, Joe

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 2010 GW broken frame mounted center stand

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 01, 2012 11:07 am

Pretty sure you ran over something - the coolant reservoir tank is usually the victim when running over road debris.

The 2008 has an aluminum frame, and requires some fairly specialized welding to fix - and that's if it can be fixed. It's possible that the entire frame could have to be replaced. It's not going to be cheap - I would perhaps think about talking to your insurance agent about placing a collision claim.

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue May 01, 2012 1:08 pm

I totally agree with WingAdmin on this. You must have suffered a collision with some road debris, and being a single vehicle collision, you would probably need to file an accident report in order to get your insurance company to pay. You will need to foot the deductable. The expense is going to be large.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue May 01, 2012 1:31 pm

Talk w/you insurance agent. This, if you have the right coverage, would be considered a Road Bed Collision. Most likely, if you have this coverage, it will have a deductable that you will be responsible for.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”