Brake Issues

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
kc8cta
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Brake Issues

Postby kc8cta » Sun May 06, 2012 10:16 am

I changed my tires and brake pads yesterday. I choose to go with the Honda pads. When I got everything back together the pads sounded like they were dragging. I took it around the block and the noise got even louder. Got back home, and raised front of bike and rotated the tire. It would only spin 1-1 1/2 revolutions. Put the old brak pads back on this morning. Spun the tire and did not hear anything rubbing and the tire went 4-5 revolutiions. I apply front and rear brake, spun tire and again somethig is dragging and the tire barely spins 1 time around. Everything is put back correct. Even at the request from the dealer used a feeler gauge in between the rotor and caliper to make sure it was adjusted correctly. I am stumpped at this time. I am thinking 1 or more pistons are not releasing. When I had the bike in the dealer for brake recall he said I might want to think about changing the fluid. He said he would wait until the end of the season and I would be fine. I pulled the cap of the reservoir and it was a light brown color. I got a buddy coming over with his mity-vac and we are going to try and bleed the brakes. Can you guys think of anything else I can check?

Andy
'04 GL1800

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Brake Issues

Postby themainviking » Sun May 06, 2012 3:25 pm

That would be the first thing I would do if I had light brown brake fluid. Get it out.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

kc8cta
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby kc8cta » Sun May 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Well, flushed the brake system and it looked like maple syrup. Caliper no longer locking up. Just need to get "some" air out of the rear. Pedal is still a little soft.

Thanks for your help.
Andy
'04 GL1800

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 07, 2012 10:38 am

Retracting the pistons to fit new pads will squeeze brake fluid from the calipers back up to the master cylinder. This brake fluid has spent some time in the caliper (it doesn't circulate back and forth), where it has been subjected to many heat cycles, dirt from pistons, and other contaminants. You don't want this contaminated, worn-out fluid being pushed back up to the master cylinder, where it can clog tiny return ports and cause other problems, as you've discovered. Therefore, open the bleed valve before retracting the pistons. This means the old fluid will be ejected out the bleed valve instead of being pushed up to the master cylinder.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”