New ECM = 10% MPG INCREASE!

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

New ECM = 10% MPG INCREASE!

Postby yechave » Sun May 06, 2012 11:54 am

After having run the 06 Wing about 800 miles since the ECM was replaced, I can now say it gets just barely 10% better gas mileage.

I have recorded just about every fill up since we bought this 2.5 yrs ago. When the new ECM was installed, the following fillups were 38 MPG, up from the constant 36.5. I have since had a 42 (which I did not count, since it was only a half a tank fill), and yesterday it got 40.7 MPG. Very pleased with the added bonus. More importantly is the fact it no longers suffers from low idle (it was going as low as <450 RPM's, and idle hunting. The troubleshooting became a tad more complex due to having had the transmission rebuilt the pervious winter. It could have been quite a number of issues. All that had to be tested before Honda would approve a new ECM. I could not find a local dealer that wanted to try and resolve that problem.

Now if I were a well-to-do kinda person, I would just have bought a new ECM and replaced it two years ago.

Not being the case, I had to endure the local Honda shop, and yet one more shop (with no history w/me or the bike), telling me it was normal after dozens of complaints and leaving the bike at the shop for anyone they wanted to test ride the Wing for at least a week. Finally, the troubleshooting process was completed early this year by Lancaster Honda and a new ECM was installed under warranty.

I only wish it had been this way when we bought it. It had 7K when we bought it. It now has 17.5K miles.

More than one Honda USA rep also said this was normal. I FINALLY, got in touch with a woman there that took sime time to ask some questions and kept the claim open, provided information to me, and returned my calls. Pat was the ONLY Honda USA rep to take more than a moment to consider my issue, and then acutally do something about it. If you have a problem, do not take no for an answer. Ask for Pat. I can not tell you how many times I had to call Honda back, and refused to talk to anyone but her.

The bike is now running super!

yechave

Re:New ECM = 10% MPG INCREASE!

Postby yechave » Sun May 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Just so there are no misunderstandings, this is an entirely positive post. Looking back, it kinda sounds like I am not happy with the MPG improvement. I was not expecting any. This is just an added bonus after replacing the ECM to correct idle hunting and very low idle RPM. I do not see a way to correct that using an edit feature. This is a very solid 10% increase in fuel mileage!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: New ECM = 10% MPG INCREASE!

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 06, 2012 7:42 pm

Glad to hear it...and of your positive experience with Honda. That seems to be a rare occurrence these days.

yechave

Re: New ECM = 10% MPG INCREASE!

Postby yechave » Sun May 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Looking back at the enormous amount of time spent with local Honda dealer, a second Honda dealer south of me, numerous phone calls to Honda USA, the many hours of running this back and forth to the dealers and having to ask a neighbor for a ride there and back......I wanted to make sure this information was documented on this forum to help others that might have an issue. Seems likely now the low MPG was an indication as well. I had nothing to really compare it to at the time. Our BMW LT got 43mpg.

There were four owners I had contacted telling me my symptoms were not normal, at least compared to their bikes.

I also trusted our Traxxion installer, who contrary to the Honda Dealers, said the alternator was bad at 7K miles. Indeed it was.

Would have been nice to not have had to endure the months of down time on the bike and had this running properly when we bought it. I am certain the previous owner had no idea.

If it were not for Lancaster Honda, I would have had to sell this.

I just wonder how many others may have considered they too had some kind of issue with their bike and were told no. The local dealer even put in writing there was nothing wrong with the bike, even with a bad transmission, alternator and the ECM. I just did not want to pass all that on to another unsuspecting buyer.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”