Audio Unit Not Functioning

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
cybermate
Motorcycle: 2010 Kawasaki GTR
2010 1800 ABS, Navi, XM, Comfort

Audio Unit Not Functioning

Postby cybermate » Sat May 12, 2012 7:38 am

Okay, I searched all over the net for a possible remedy restlessly with no progress. I gotta explain this; for alomost a year now the bike has been running fine with no obvious problem neither electrical nor mechanical. One sunny morning I just started my bike, warmed it for couple of minutes and then off I went. Just pressed on the Audio button and no response! Pressed on CB, Navi & ICOM, none was responding. I went back got every piece of the fairing and shelter open to inspect what the problem could be and as per the service manual "Troubleshooting" section, checked every bit and piece step by step. Inspected the unit, fuses, amplifier, all connectors, handle bar supplies and connectors, checked the 40Amp fuse as well, not a single sign of problem. And to further find out if my units are the problem, I even installed both the audio unit and the amplifier on a different 1800 bike and both worked fine!!

Audio unit lights up though, Navigation beep is heard through the speakers, but no response from any of the 4 funtions buttons on top line! I inspected the wiring throughout for a possible cut or rapture, but found none!!

I do not know at this point what to do as the bike has been open for almost a month for inspection as a little part each day! ANy idea what I could possibly do? Everything else works fine on the bike except for the audio unit!! BTW, I even borrowed my friend's unit but no use!!

Please somebody help...

2010 Goldwing 1800 with ABS, Navi, XM & Comfort

cybermate
Motorcycle: 2010 Kawasaki GTR
2010 1800 ABS, Navi, XM, Comfort

Re: Audio Unit Not Functioning

Postby cybermate » Sat May 12, 2012 9:36 am

Okay... got inspired by one of the posts in this forum. The culprit was CB! I disconnected the CB harness and tested the unit and it is alive again. After reconnecting it triggered CB Error for unknown reason though, ANyways, after couple of tries, it worked and the CB as well.

Thanks to the forum...
2010 Goldwing 1800 with ABS, Navi, XM & Comfort

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Audio Unit Not Functioning

Postby thrasherg » Sat May 12, 2012 10:30 am

Glad to hear you fixed it, I would never have thought the CB could disable the stereo system so completely!! Hope you are enjoying riding your wing now.. If you hadn't fixed it, I would have made you an offer for your HID lights!! :D

Gary

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”