Need Advise

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Need Advise

Postby flash2002 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:44 am

I'm going on a long trip and I would like to check the back end. Is they're a simple way to check the differential and drive shaft or do I have to take it apart? When I'm driving, it sounds like I was going over cracks on the road, like a very low thump . The bike is a 2003 with 63000 KM. I just don't want to have problems on the road.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Need Advise

Postby themainviking » Mon May 21, 2012 2:14 pm

Change your gear lube, and the rest should take care of itself. 63K kilometers is nothing for these differentials. Use a good grade synthetic in the specification shown in your owners manual. The reason I suggest changing the gear lube, is that it is nine plus years old. Heat combined with gear lube or oil equals condensation, so there will be moisture in there.

Now to the thump. Is it a steady thump - thump - thump - thump or is it just a once in a while thump? Once again, try the gear lube change, but also check the torque on your rear wheel bolts. Other than that, perhaps you are going over cracks in the road and your tire is inflated too high.

As to a simple method of checking the differential, well, no, there is not one. You can, however, look for metal in the gear lube when you change it. That will indicate if you have any problems there.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Postby flash2002 » Mon May 21, 2012 2:39 pm

Thanks Themainviking, I do change the oil every year, bolts are torque. The sound is like if you had a screw in your tire, and you hear it every time it it's the pavement, but I feel it in the foot pegs, very low thump. I will keep on looking, I will find the problem before my trip.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue May 22, 2012 6:46 am

Look also for an out of balance tire, a warped or glazed rotor, or a tire with a lump on one side. You have probably done all this, but just in case.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

flaxman
Motorcycle: '01 GL1800A Illusion Red

Postby flaxman » Sat May 26, 2012 7:07 am

FLASH, put it on the centre stand, run it in gear and FEEL the tire, possible flat spot???

feel the sidewalls, too

SCOTT

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”