TomTom power cord mod

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
mosesmcrae
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

TomTom power cord mod

Postby mosesmcrae » Mon May 28, 2012 6:57 am

I have installed my TomTom on my 01 Wing. There is a cig liter in the left box. The power plug/cord takes up way too much room. Has anyone taken this cig plug apart successfully and hard wired it? There is a transformer stepping the voltage from 12 to 5 volts within this plug and I'm afraid of destroying it if I start cutting open the plug. I'm trying not to spend more money on cords or adapters if possible.
I bought a ground loop isolator and removed almost all the whine in my headsets from the lousy connection. I thought if I could hardwire the power cord it might remove the rest of the noise.
I'm open to all options.
Thanks,
Bob

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: TomTom power cord mod

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 29, 2012 1:47 pm

mosesmcrae wrote:I have installed my TomTom on my 01 Wing. There is a cig liter in the left box. The power plug/cord takes up way too much room. Has anyone taken this cig plug apart successfully and hard wired it? There is a transformer stepping the voltage from 12 to 5 volts within this plug and I'm afraid of destroying it if I start cutting open the plug. I'm trying not to spend more money on cords or adapters if possible.
I bought a ground loop isolator and removed almost all the whine in my headsets from the lousy connection. I thought if I could hardwire the power cord it might remove the rest of the noise.
I'm open to all options.
Thanks,
Bob

I have done this with virtually every "cigarette lighter" type power adapter I've put on a bike. It's easy to do, and lets you mount the power adapter somewhere else (i.e. inside the fairing) where it isn't taking up space.

The adapters do not have transformers in them, they are switching power supplies that use transistors and IC's to step the power down.

mosesmcrae

Postby mosesmcrae » Tue May 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanks, I took the chance and used a Dremel tool to carefully open the plug case. I soldered pigtails to the connectors inside the plug and routed them out the old positive hole. I taped up the plug and tucked it away under the left glovebox.

It didn't reduce the very slight whine any further, but it freed up a lot of space in that box.

Thanks again,

Bob

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 29, 2012 3:05 pm

mosesmcrae wrote:Thanks, I took the chance and used a Dremel tool to carefully open the plug case. I soldered pigtails to the connectors inside the plug and routed them out the old positive hole. I taped up the plug and tucked it away under the left glovebox.

It didn't reduce the very slight whine any further, but it freed up a lot of space in that box.

Thanks again,

Bob

Exactly the way I do it (routing the wires) except I usually just pry them apart with a screwdriver rather than a Dremel. I remove the fuse from inside and solder directly to the circuit board, then fuse the thing with an inline fuse somewhere else.

mosesmcrae

Postby mosesmcrae » Tue May 29, 2012 4:11 pm

See you're from Ohio. I grew up in Norwalk. Still lots of family up there. Now in the home of NC BBQ. I'm really enjoying learning about this bike. Next project is the rear shock. I can hear the motor but can't see any movement. I'm hoping it's just the fluid. No error msg on the display. Will consider a braided hose.
I bought this a year ago. Have wanted one for years, but was intimidated by the size. After several years off bikes, I got reacquainted with riding on an 1100 Shadow, then found this bike in Greensboro and took the plunge. Absolutely love it.
Well, thanks again. Enjoy riding.

Bob

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”