shortening GL1800 windshield

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Sladep
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Airbag,
2004 Kawasaki KDX 220
2000 Kawasaki KDX 220
2000 Honda XR100R

shortening GL1800 windshield

Postby Sladep » Thu May 31, 2012 12:26 am

Anyone have any experience in shortening a GL1800 windscreen? I replaced my stock Honda windscreen with a 2" taller Honda windscreen. It is excellent at high speeds, and pushes all the wind and rain over myself and my passenger. My only regret is at its lowest position, when on curvy roads, the top edge of the screen is exactly in my line of sight, and interferes with being able to see my lines, etc. I think if it were about 1" shorter, I would retain the good performance at high speeds, and get it low enough to not interfere with my vision on curvy roads. The stock screen was too low at high speeds to push wind over both of us but did not interfere with the line of sight in corners.

I don't see any way to enable the screen to go any lower in the mounting slots inside the fairing. So, my thought is to remove about 1" from the top. Before you flame me for this idea, please hear me out. Here's what I thought might work:
1) take the stock screen and use it as a template to draw the exact same arc across the taller screen, 1" from the top
2) put some foam in between the front of the tall screen and the back of the shorter screen, and clamp the shorter screen to the taller one, obviously using twels to protect the surfaces
3) using a Dremel with a very fine grinding bit (any suggestions on the model #?), starting at the side of the screen, keeping the shaft of the bit on the top edge of the shorter screen to use it as a guide to make a perfect cut, move it slowly up. Keep the shaft on the top of the shorter screen and continue all the way to the other side until finished.
4) With a proper sanding/finishing bit, put the proper angle and polished finish on the front side and back side of the taller screen. The shorter screen can be moved up to use as a guide to finishing the back side of the taller screen, and the shorter screen can be moved down to use as a guide to finishing the front side of the taller screen.

If anyone has a better idea, either to enable the taller screen to go lower into the fairing and avoid this project, or another way to shorten it, please let me know!

Thanks

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Re: shortening GL1800 windshield

Postby Ghostman » Thu May 31, 2012 7:08 am

Hope this helps you.

yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

Postby yechave » Thu May 31, 2012 9:18 am

Add a seat cushion!

I use the Walmart Comfy cushion alone or with a small air bladder. More than enough to make up any difference in windshield heights. Beats chopping up a perfectly good shield.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Thu May 31, 2012 11:56 am

yechave wrote:Add a seat cushion!

I use the Walmart Comfy cushion alone or with a small air bladder. More than enough to make up any difference in windshield heights. Beats chopping up a perfectly good shield.

I like this suggestion!! Very few people can cut a windshield and make it look professional!! Try the cushion idea first..

Gary

yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

Postby yechave » Thu May 31, 2012 3:34 pm

The best inexpensive seat I've seen is the Walmart comfy seat. For a few bucks more, add the roid doughnut for $7, very little air, it works great. We had four of these we have been using for over two years. Worked really well for $30.

I just got the Air Hawk R today for $170. Even softer than the Walmart seat. It fits the Wing better too, and guessing it it maybe 60% less weight. Only did a few miles with the new seat stopping about four times to let more air out.

Traffic is very heavy. Have to see how that work in the long haul.

Either way, beats having to cut the windshield.

WOJCIECH
Motorcycle: GL 1800 2009
GL 1800 2009 trike Redwing

Postby WOJCIECH » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:26 am

so you can see how glass is cut off, I have a 180 and I lowered the window and did not propose cutting!
http://e-trike.pl/g/trajka-wojtka
how you want to cut glass! grinder, thin blade, slowly strip to break the shield angles, but it makes no sense - ask yourself if you do not make a mistake?

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”