intermittent TPMS light

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
casekid
Motorcycle: 2009 gl1800

intermittent TPMS light

Postby casekid » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi guys I have 2009 GL 1800 with a intermittent tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) light. I bought the CD service manual but it doesn't say a word about this system. So any help on where to get info about this or what I need to do would be a greatly appreciated.
THANKS.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: intermittent TPMS light

Postby themainviking » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:47 am

First, are your tires aired up enough? Give them each another pound or two to see if it solves the problem. If it does, buy a new pressure gauge. If not, and if you still have warrantee, take it up with your dealer. If all this fails, try getting hold of a tire dealer who has a TPMS reset device and get them to try resetting it.

That's all I have.....
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Al Waters
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Gold Wing

Postby Al Waters » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:24 pm

Here is my experience with the TPMS. I bought a used 2009 1800 and the TPMS light was already on. My bad because the seller told me that he had an earlier 1800 and that it was a common thing. I didn't know about TPMS as my last bike was an 1100 twenty something years a go. Now I know a little more. Fortunately, my 2009 bike was still under warranty so definitely check that out first as was posted earlier. There are two lights. One tells you the system is working (mine was not) and the other is when your tire pressure decreases for whatever reasons by 10%. They should both go on when you turn on the ignition. Then they should both go off in a second or two. You now know that the TPMS system is working as well as the low tire pressure system indicator.
After a couple of trips to the shop where they reset the system with their computer (it worked for a few weeks then the system light came on), they decided to replace the units on both wheels. Everything has been fine since. It has been 5 months.

Before I bought my Wing, I and a friend had rented Wings the past couple of years for one week trips. There were times when we got on the bikes in the morning and the low pressure light would be on. After a few miles, the light would go off. Dealers there said that it was common in very cold areas until the tires heated up. Temps were in the low 40's.

I am no Gold Wing guru by any means. I can just tell you my experience. From what I got, if the TPMS system light stays on, or blinks, the system is not working properly. Once it is working properly, you can then rely on the low pressure light working properly.

Thanks, Al Waters

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:23 pm

can't really help you but in my opinion all these electronics are not needed.. I have not ever seen one of these TPMS work for long even on cars. I beleive most problems with these are do to the moisture in the compressed air shop use. You really need super dry air. I alway use Nitrgon in my tires for this very reason. Don't let your shop charge you an arm and leg for nitrgon. I went to my local welding suppier and bought a tank and a set of gages. One tank will last years. I have 5 cars and 3 bikes use it in all of them and had this tank two years now.. Sally

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:09 pm

I had the same issue with my TPMS when I first got my Wing especially on cold morning when the temp was in the low 50's. What Viking said is also true in that my front tire when cold was showing under inflated so I boosted it up a couple of pounds and that solved the issue.

In regards to using Nitrogen, I started using it with my 2 bikes and cars have never had an issue with them loosing air.
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

Al Waters
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Gold Wing

Postby Al Waters » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:36 pm

Geez, I guess that I should never have said anything. Here is what I ran into. Just last night I was driving home and right after I took off, the low pressure light started blinking. I stopped the bike and checked the tires and everything appeared fine. I got back on the road and the light continued to blink for a few more miles then went out. This morning I checked the pressure and the rear tire was down a couple of pounds but not by 10%. I got it back to the specs and everything has been fine with the TPMS system. The temp last night was high 50's according to the temp gauge the Wing indicated.
They say don't rely on the TPMS as gold and still check the tires periodically. It is a nice feature to have. I have dumped a bike on the freeway years a go when the front went flat faster than I could react.

Nitrogen???? I did not know that. Learn something new everyday. I will have to check that one out. Good reading out here for sure.

Thanks, Al Waters

mcbrown
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800CADA
1978 GL1000 K3 sold
1975 Gl1000 K1 sold
Honda CB500/4 sold
Honda CB450 twin sold

Postby mcbrown » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:37 pm

Many years ago I and my girlfriend at that time went on a long country trip on a GL1000 K1. When returning home I noticed that the bike was getting very difficult to corner and this was while doing about 140km ( ~75mph). I was hanging off the side of the bike trying to get around the sweeping corners. We stopped by the side of the road and took the front wheel off and I hitched a ride to the nearest town with a rock under the engine to support the bike while the wheel was off. The local country garage put a tube in and I hitched back to the bike with the girlfriend standing guard to make sure no-one touched our bike. The tyre was very flat and to this day I dont know how the Michelin didn't come off the rim.

I now have a 2010 GL1800 and hope the TPMS will alert me before I get into the above situation again.

casekid
Motorcycle: 2009 gl1800

Postby casekid » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks for all the input. I will check tire pressure again just cover all bases. Does anyone know if there is a supplement to go with the Honda CD service manual that would cover this system? The copy I have has the right part # according to my owners manual but it does't mention this system. You are right Al there is some great info here!

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”