Traxxion Dynamics Suspension

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
legaulois
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension

Postby legaulois » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi All,

Great site, I just joined!
I have a 2009 GL1800, got it in Feb last year and put 5K+ miles playing around. When I let go of the handle bars at 40mph or less, there is a wobble that surprised me - after all, it's a Goldwing (did not expect that!).
The dealer said that the tires were bad!!?? ... and I need to replace them.

I watch the video and apparently this wobble seems to be a known problem - related to the suspension not necessarily the tire.

Anyone installed this suspension on their bike?
Any improvements?

http://www.traxxion.com/gold_wing_suspe ... sion.shtml

Thank you

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Re: Traxxion Dynamics Suspension

Postby gareva1 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:04 pm

I don't have the front portion done yet, but I have replaced my rear shock and spring with the traxxion parts...traxxion sells a package called the "full monty" that includes all of their recommended upgrades...one of the components of the full monty is a set of allballs steering bearings and new races...I think this component is one of the most common solutions to solve the wobble, and you can buy the bearings separately from the package from traxxion or wingstuff...

make no mistake though, what you heard could be accurate---tires close to being on their way out or a set that has cupped badly due to underinflation over use will give this same symptom...if you are close mileage wise to needing a new set, I'd bite on a set of tires just to see...

Wingstuff sells the bearings and races for $40 if you're interested...the replacement of the bearings isn't the easiest thing in the world, but can be done in your driveway if need be.

alabamawing
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Postby alabamawing » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:56 pm

I have the "Full Monty". It is everything that is advertised. Expensive, yes, but for me worth it. Would I make my family starve to do it again? No but they would eat a bunch of PB&J sandwiches.

raycw
Motorcycle: 88 GL1500

Postby raycw » Fri May 21, 2010 12:24 am

I've installed at least a dozen of the 'full monty' and various other mods. I was trained at Traxxion and had my own shop.
What you've heard is 99% accurate. It almost is the perfect fix. But there's an 'almost' in there. It's the brand of tires.
What I've found (and this had me head scratching after installation of a full monty) is that Metzler tires do not perform as well as many people would want you to believe and in some cases caused a 'oscillation' even after the Traxxion modifications. After some experimentation I latched onto Bridgestone tires. In some cases just swapping over to Bridgestones could cure the oscillation.
But that is not the norm.
Here are things I've found that singularly caused the oscillation:
low tire pressure- either front or rear but usually the front
bad tires- swapping to Bridgestones has had a very good success ratio
worn, loose steering bearings- installing tapered roller bearings has a very good success ratio. Not perfect but VERY good.

If you do these modifications at the oscillation still exists... then it's time for the 'full monty'. Keep in mind that the tapered roller bearings is part of the full monty.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri May 21, 2010 11:40 am

I have used both the Traxxion stronger fork springs (loved the results and removed the wobble) and then went the full monty and love that even more. If you don't have the money for the full monty, just changing out the springs and spacers for the traxxion uprated springs and spacers is definately worth the $120... I also fitted the Traxxion stiffer rear shock spring and again liked what that did for the wing handling, it also makes it much easier to get on the center stand!! Again the full monty is awesome but very expensive, you get 80% of the benefit from just the stiffer fork and shock springs..

Gary

Geeche
Motorcycle: 2010 Honda Gold wing

Postby Geeche » Tue May 25, 2010 9:57 am

[quote="legaulois"]Hi All,

I have a 2009 GL1800, got it in Feb last year and put 5K+ miles playing around. When I let go of the handle bars at 40mph or less, there is a wobble that surprised me - after all, it's a Goldwing (did not expect that!).
The dealer said that the tires were bad!!?? ... and I need to replace them.

I just took delivery of the 2010 GL 1800 and was driving it home. On the interstate I went to go around a slower moving car and just as I accelerated and leaned the bike to go around, I felt that wobble you speak of. My OEM Dunlap tires had only a few miles on them when this happened. It was nothing I couldn't handle but it was a little disconcerting.
Geeche

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue May 25, 2010 6:12 pm

My 2003 also has the wobble at around 40mph, it was one of the reasons that I decided to uprate the suspension. Either the Traxxion spring kit or the full monty, both solutions completely stopped the wobble.. Can't say enough for just spending $110 on the traxxion front fork spring kit, it makes a huge differnce for the price of a tyre... and the wobble goes away... :D

Gary

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu May 27, 2010 5:13 am

I know this sounds like a smart a_ _ remark (not meant that way) but, why let go of the handle bars???????
Most 1800 Wings will have this wobble at around 40 on decel if you let go of the bars!
There are many factors involved in the "wobble" and the list could go on and on.
One of the main causes is under inflated tires leading to cupping which increases the "wobble" factor.
At least 41psi frt and rear should be maintained in the tires. Checked regularly-once a week would not be to often!
Proper balance is another contributer- as tires wear the balance changes.
Make sure the steering head bearings are adjusted correctly-Jack up the front-any fore/aft moving of the forks. If yes-you need to torque the bearings. Check the rear swing arm for excessive play.
I did all this when my Wing was brand new and all was OK w/it.
Now this is where some will disagree.
To achieve ongoing tire balance and to have the added punture protection, I use Ride-on tire balancer and sealant:
http://www.ride-on.com/
To the best of my knowledge, this is the only product of this nature that does NOT "mess" up the rim and cleans up with water and performs as advertized. I can attest to it's merits as a balancer, I cannot comment on it's sealing capabilities as I have yet to experience a puncture using this product.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”