2010 Goldwing GPS

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
gordon49
Motorcycle: 2010 Honda Goldwing

2010 Goldwing GPS

Postby gordon49 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:22 am

My 2010 Goldwing has factory installed GPS. How can I transfer a map from my computer to it and be able to bring it up when I want to take that trip? Have looked at unit in trunk and do not find a USB port to hook computer into. Any advice?

gildco
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Air

Re: 2010 Goldwing GPS

Postby gildco » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:31 pm

I had the same question about the GPS on my 2008 GW, and the answer is that Honda uses a CF card for the GPS which cannot be modified; the 2012 uses a SD card that allows you to take out the card, enter routes, and then plug the card back in. I am going to put a RAM mount on my bike and attach my Garmin 755 to it. Then, I will be able to use the MAD Maps I have as well as other programmed routes. However, for most of the journeys I take, the on-board GPS does a fine job.

In essence, you are stuck with the CF card that you have, but can update it to newer maps by visiting the Garmin site. If I can recall, the new updated card costs less than one hundred dollars. Garmin folks will tell you to take out the old CF card and plug in the new one. You can format and reuse the old card, is you so wish, for other devices that take CF cards.

Sorry for the bad news. Some good news is what one respondent told me: a majority of roads don't change much year-after-year, so no big deal.

dalph07
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Audio/comfort

Postby dalph07 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:53 pm

I'm a little ignorant about a "CF" card. I use a "SD" in my ZUMO 550 GPS. I also have the life time update for my ZUMO 550 so I don't need to buy a update when they come out. Is this option avalible for the "CF" card?

gildco
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Air

Postby gildco » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:41 pm

I'm a lot ignorant about a lot of things, so don't feel alone. You can buy an updated map, on a CF card, that you just plug into your GW GPS. You can call or go to the Garmin Web site and order the one that you want. My update cost $149.00. You may be better off just using your Zumo for those trips you want to plan easily by using your computer and then transferring the map to your Zumo.

Gil

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:30 pm

To the best of my knowledge, the whole story goes like this. 2009 and 2010 bikes in the United States ONLY got SD cards in their NAVI units (so updated units) but they cannot have trips recorded and programmed in. Only the 2012 has this ability, as it has an even more updated NAVI.

All other bikes from all over the world, from 2010 back have CF cards in their NAVI units, and 2008 back in the U.S. None of them was updateable past the old style of maps which left us with maps from 2009 at the latest, till enough people complained to Government anti dumping legislators, Garmin and Honda. So last October, Garmin came out with a firmware upgrade, version 4.50, which was supposed to fix everything all up. Sadly, it failed, and even caused lock up problems with the units. In January 2012, Garmin came out with firmware version 4.60, which has allowed the CF card units to read NT mapping, so City Navigator North America NT (and other places in the world) CDs can be used to update the maps now, if one knows how. This is allowing the CF card NAVI units to be updated into the future. Garmin sells the upgrade for $95.00 plus shipping, which usually seems to bring the cost up to the $150.00 range as was previously mentioned. The Search POI by name function has been lost in order to put the ability to read NT mapping into the firmware. The unit still locks up if this function is attempted. One thing - if a person has the ability to make an unlocked image file from a CD of City Navigator NT, and replaces the gmapsupp.img on their upgraded card with it, the NAVI will use the newer mapping. My image file is updated to May 2012 and when the quarterly map update comes out in August, I will move to it. And that is all the knowledge I have in as short a space as I can write it.

Hope it helps
Viking

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”