Driving Light/Fog Light Bulb Replacement

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
ScottyKs
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Driving Light/Fog Light Bulb Replacement

Postby ScottyKs » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:21 am

I have a 2004 GL1800 and I can't figure out how to replace the bulb in the lower driving light / fog light, whatever you what to call them. I have tried a couple of times and always succumb to defeat, and I just don't think it is that difficult.
I can't locate any manuals or directions on how to do this, in the past I have had the shop do it, but that gets expensive for just a light bulb replacement.....
Can anyone help me out on this...........thanks!

goldwinger1
Motorcycle: 2002 GL-1800

Re: Driving Light/Fog Light Bulb Replacement

Postby goldwinger1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:55 am

Remove the front cowl off the Goldwing directly behind your front fender that covers up your driving lights. There are 3 allen head bolts on each side( two in front corners and one on the bottom side on each side) and two of the little push pins that are in the lower center of the black cover above the cowl. Notice that the very top bolt is longer than the other two on each side. After you remove the 6 screws and 2 push pins , pull out on the black cover and the cowl should drop down from underneath the black cover......
You should now see your driving light brackets....... There should be a screw on each top corner holding the lights to the bracket. Remove the two corner screws and on the bottom there should be a ear on a spring post ... just pull the light off the bracket to remove it ......do not remove the bracket that hold the light to the bike. The driving lights are plug and play and you can unplug the driving light plug to make it easier to work on but you dont have to unplug it the work on them.
On the back of the driving light housing there are 3 screws.... remove those 3 screws from the back of the light housing and that cover will come off and you will see the bulb.......there is a spring in the housing just like the one in the headlight housing... push down and out on that spring and you can then pull the bulb out of the housing.... There is a black wire connector that splits open and that is where your buld pigtail plugs in ... Pay attention to how the wires are routed in the case and put the connector back in the same way you find the holder seated to keep from pinching a wire..... Insert the new buld and rehook the spring, plug in your pigtail , reistall the rear light cover, reinstall the driving light back on the bracket, reinstall the lower cowl and you done.... the hardest part is reinserting those 2 stupid push pins back in the black cover above the lower cowl. take your time and good luck..
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

ScottyKs
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby ScottyKs » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Buzzsaw,
I would gladly pay for this information. This is great.
This is the same route that I was trying on my own but I was just not going far enough, thank you for best detailed information I have seen.
Happy and Safe Riding......
Thanks again.
ScottyKs

goldwinger1
Motorcycle: 2002 GL-1800

Postby goldwinger1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:13 pm

Your welcome Scotty .....thats what these message boards are for ....... hope the instruction work out fine for you . i just changed mine yesterday..... make sure you use 35 watt bulbs because the tail light fuse is on this same circut and if you go over 35 watt you could end up blowing the tail light fuse and that fuse also carries all your dash gauges.... good luck and have a good one.
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Here is a website you may find usefull for the fog lights\bulb replacement as it contains the step instructions on how to install a complete set.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1800foglightfitting.htm

Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”