Nut for license plate on trike

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
bighammer
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Goldwing 1800

Nut for license plate on trike

Postby bighammer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi all, I am the new guy. Had a 1000 GL a few years back. Drove it to work every day, 80 miles round trip. Wife got scared when a truck got too close to her leg. She got to wanting another, but wanted a trike. We got this one. It is a 2005 GL1800A with a Champion Trike kit and Kuryakyn add-ons everywhere.
My problem is that when I went to change out the regular license plate for my Purple Heart plate, one of the nuts fell inside the door. I can't see a way to get in to it. Does anyone know how, or failing that, where I can find a replacement nut?
This area is the Mojave Desert. Lots of Marines riding Harleys and crotch rockets, but very few wings, and we make one trike. The local bike shop doesn't have an answer. :?:

cfennell1832
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing 2007 1800GL

Re: Nut for license plate on trike

Postby cfennell1832 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:15 pm

Take out the other nut and bolt & take them to a hardware store (or any one with nuts & bolts lying around) and find another one. :mrgreen:

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:20 pm

cfennell1832 wrote:Take out the other nut and bolt & take them to a hardware store (or any one with nuts & bolts lying around) and find another one. :mrgreen:

Or find two that are a close match or acceptable match and change them both out. But on or near 29 toothpicks, you probably won't find any hardware stores big enough. You probably need to go to Barstow, or to Needles.

Semper Fi.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

bighammer

Postby bighammer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:59 am

You are overlooking that the door is a front with a hollow center and a sealed on back liner. If it was just as simple as getting another nut and bolt there wouldn't be a problem, it would already have been done. If you can't get to the nut to tighten it, a simple nut replacement won't work. What is there is like a rubber grommet with the nut either internal, or somehow glued to the back side. And yes, 29 stumps doesn't have a well stocked hardware store. In this town, gormet dining is a pizza with everything. Living on the outer edge of civilization has its good points, but there are deffinnately drawbacks.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:03 am

If you have a strong rare-earth magnet, you could place it on the bottom of the liner and try to "catch" the nut on the inside and drag it up to the opening it fell into.

I take the voice coil magnets out of old failed computer hard drives and use them for this sort of thing - they are extremely powerful.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:08 pm

bighammer wrote:You are overlooking that the door is a front with a hollow center and a sealed on back liner. If it was just as simple as getting another nut and bolt there wouldn't be a problem, it would already have been done. If you can't get to the nut to tighten it, a simple nut replacement won't work. What is there is like a rubber grommet with the nut either internal, or somehow glued to the back side. And yes, 29 stumps doesn't have a well stocked hardware store. In this town, gormet dining is a pizza with everything. Living on the outer edge of civilization has its good points, but there are deffinnately drawbacks.

Sorry bout that. It is our unfamiliarity with the design characteristics of trikes in general, and yours in particular. Sorry the suggestions were of no value, but that is the nature of a lot of suggestions, :lol: Here's hoping you have a better chance with WingAdmins advice, but now that I understand the design, I know what I would do. I would drill where the nut "was" (on the inside of the door) and bolt the licence plate on through the hole, and then silicone the hole, but only if it was my bike, or I had the owners permission, right? Up here in salt and snow country, they drill vehicles to undercoat them. We have little plastic plugs which fit the holes well. I could sent you some of those if the silicone idea does not appeal to you. Good luck with whatever you have to do to remedy your situation.

Last time I was at twennynine was back in 1965, and they had nothing there back then. Sounds like change has not been rapid. It is a great place if you like the heat, and if you are recuperating from a knee replacement. The dry air tends to mitigate swelling.

ImageImage

goldwinger1
Motorcycle: 2002 GL-1800

Postby goldwinger1 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:58 pm

Here is a link to a Champion trike dealer, give them a call and maybe they could send you a new part or give you some ideas about your problem.
http://www.cyclestufftrikes.com/champio ... l1800.html
Phone : 615-893-3600

Hope this helps.
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

mbuesing
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800
Past rides.
1991 Yamaha Venture Royal 1300
1979 Kawasaki SR 650
198? Yamaha 175 Enduro
1976 Kawasaki KZ 400 (my son still rides this bike)
197? Yamaha 90 Enduro
1965 Honda S65 Sport
Minnie bike

Postby mbuesing » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:04 am

If it has a square hole like most plates, this should work. Ace Hardware? I get them though McMaster-Car.
The GL1800 is a crotch rocket on Steroids.

bighammer

Postby bighammer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:37 pm

I really appreciate all the suggestions. I called Champion. They told me that it is a crown bolt expansion nut, then sent me one. The nut is brass so the magnet idea didn't work. This is rather like a dry wall expansion screw. Push it thru the hole, insert the screw and thghten. That brings the nut forward and the rubber tube expands inside the hole to keep it in place.
Happy riding!

You can read this. Thank a teacher
It's in Enlish. Thank a veteran.

goldwinger1
Motorcycle: 2002 GL-1800

Postby goldwinger1 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:26 am

Glad it worked out for you... ride safe and enjoy your ride
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:55 am

bighammer wrote:I really appreciate all the suggestions. I called Champion. They told me that it is a crown bolt expansion nut, then sent me one. The nut is brass so the magnet idea didn't work. This is rather like a dry wall expansion screw. Push it thru the hole, insert the screw and thghten. That brings the nut forward and the rubber tube expands inside the hole to keep it in place.
Happy riding!

You can read this. Thank a teacher
It's in English. Thank a veteran.

Thanks for getting back to us with the solution. Glad it worked out for you.

Viking

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”