06 goldwing gps issues

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
huggiebear
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 airbag
2005 GL1800 with side Car and Trailer

Re: 06 goldwing gps issues

Post by huggiebear » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:04 am

I have tried to unsolder the pins of the PCB but it's very hard, I even asked an electronic shop if he could do it but no one would touch it. Every one said you need a special machine.
I tried with the sucker mechanical vacuum but didn't work for me.
So now I have a unit that I have to put it in the garbage, but before I do that I'll try the last thing to do
Pry the connector out and it worked for me and for my friend.
I know is not the right thing to do in electronic but after trying the proper way I've used my last resource pry it out.
Now if you know how to remove the connector and solder back on please share it with us.
I have shared what I have done to get the unit working again if there s a better way I don't know.

Now my question is: what's the part number?
I have searched under " CF card connector or PCB CF card connector " what comes up is the open type.
Maybe someone of you guys have a better luck.
Thanks for your help

huggiebear

Post by huggiebear » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:24 am

Never mind I found what I was looking for, in my 4 years hold post the link for the part number.
In case someone needs it here it is:
https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDe ... 2453-022LF
And please if you manage to remove the cf card holder from the boars whith a soldering iron share it with us.
ONCE AGAIN THANKS THE WINGADMIN for providing the link 4 years ago.

Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:46 am

It takes a hot air soldering tool, we call them an air knife. I have changed 3 or 4 of these in the past. The only issue we had was Canadian authorities wanting to charge a big tax on its return to Canada. They wanted to treat it as a new purchase instead of just a repair. The last one I did, the gentleman had a post office box on our side of the border that I shipped it to and he came over and got it. Here is an interesting read from the first one I did. Post#44 has pictures.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1800 ... ost2557587

huggiebear

Post by huggiebear » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:10 am

Techdude thanks for the information I'll see if I can find the tool on the net.
Will make my life much easier replacing my friend memory card connector.
Wish I new this when I replaced mine.
Like I've said in previous post , not even the people who repair electronics devices knew about such a tool or didn't want to tell me, they refused to work on it.

Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:48 am

A decent air knife will run you $150 US and if you buy one you should practice with it and some throw away circuits to get the hang of getting the temperature and airflow set right to keep from damaging the new part. Too much heat on it for too long will melt the card connector. You will need plenty of liquid flux to help the solder flowing smoothly. You will need a pretty strong magnifier to see these pins clearly. There’s also a couple of pins on the board that are sharing the same circuit electrically and it’s OK to have a solder short between them. If you don’t want to go through all this, you can send it and the new connector to me and I’ll gladly change it for you. I charge $50 plus the shipping back to you. Canadian customs are a pain to deal with and can cost a lot to get it back to you.

huggiebear

Post by huggiebear » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:26 pm

Thanks for the offer and the warning, I'll try or better yet practice on a old PCB before working on the GGPS. The one I have ordered is the 898D SMS not sure how good it is. I don't have to use it every day, hope will do the job.

Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Ok, don’t forget to remove the conformal coating from the board on the socket legs and pads, isopropyl alcohol works good with a Q-tip. It will solder much smoother with all of that removed at the pads. Goodluck, let me know if I can help.

huggiebear

Re:2010 goldwing gps Canada map issue

Post by huggiebear » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:50 am

Hope someone can hep me ,
I have a 2010 gl1800 airbag model, in 2015 I updated the map from Garmin USA paid 95$ worked fine till I've crossed the boarden on November 1st 2017 , first time i went for a ride in Florida tried to input the address in the GPS and found out my key board it was grayed out relized i Had the Canadian map, switch map and everything worked fine
Then one day i went back to the canadian map and had the same problem, I can put the house number but when i go to input the street name there is no keyboar, its there but grayed out.
Called Garmin they send me a new CF card for USA and Canada followed the instruction how to install the map with an hard reset even though the instructions that came with the cards said to have the motorcycle on and engine running, this metod didn't work but the hard reset worked, the gps did the update again.
after the new update i inserted the Canadian map and the problem its still there.
Contacted Garmin again and i was told to contact Honda Canada because there is nothing they can do.
Contacted Honda Canada with a big desapointment they said that they don't have a fix for it, for the time.
So Garmin and Honda Canada washed their hands now im stuck with a GPS that works for USA only.
anyone of canadians have this issue?
what I don't understand why would worked for 2 years . according to Honda Canada they don't advise to do the update From Garmin USA but at the same time they don't have an update nore a solution for it.
any help is greately apretiated,
tried to make my own map from basecamp from an unlocked map but i get a message from the motorcycle gps ( can't unlock map.)
thanks in Advance
Aldo

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Post by jinx » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:37 pm

PM me with an e-mail address I can send the unlock program to. Also does your gps use CF or SD cards ?