Fork seal replacement on GL1800's

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
rstoops1
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
2001 GL1800A ABS

Fork seal replacement on GL1800's

Postby rstoops1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:13 pm

I've been having a real session with fork seal problems on the left fork of my 2001 GL1800A. The bike has 112,350 miles and lately has had an appetite for fork seals. I disabled the anti-dive by shimming the valve on the fork, but that didn't completely solve the problem. After the third seal replacement (I do my own work) I examined the fork tube more closely and discovered a couple of very small chips in the chrome, which were cutting the seal and decided to replace the tube. That has seemed to solve the problem...after a week no leaks. I had heard that replacing the fork seal was a really bad task, but haven't found that to be the case. When I disassemble the fork I wrap the fork tube with a 2" high layer of masking tape to protect the tube from scratches, etc. To install the new seal I made a seal driver, using a 1-1/2" pipe cap with the top cut off. It is dimensionally perfect and will not damage the fork tube chrome. I cut a piece of 2 X 4 pine and make a 1-3/4" hole to fit over the tube which is positioned over the seak driver so I have something to tap on to seat the fork seal. I made a high tech hammer out of a short piece of 2 X 4 for the head and a cut off broom stick for the handle to prevent marring the fork tube chrome. This high tech approach works great. I also found that seating the stopper ring that holds the fork seal in place can be a real bear. It fits in a close tolerance groove just above the top of the seal. My approach is to use the seal driver to seat the stopper ring. A couple of taps on the driver us usually all it takes to seat the ring. Replacing a fork seal really is not that big a job. The biggest headache is removing and replacing all of the plastic around the front wheel.

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Re: Fork seal replacement on GL1800's

Postby Red Ron » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:29 am

Good job. Thumbs up from me. Wish you had some pictures but but you did a good job explaining it.

flaxman
Motorcycle: '01 GL1800A Illusion Red

Postby flaxman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:18 am

have you also replaced the guides?

be a shame to ruin your new tube for sake of a 10 dollar part,,,

also, make sure when driving the seal, it stays SQUARE, I used a piece of ABS pipe into the modified reduce coupling ..guides itself.

sorry no pics. Also, I did NOT disable the anti dive, instead i made sure it worked the way it was intended, keeps the load on the road...(don't want the rear to lose traction as the weight shifts forward...)
(IMHO)

SCOTT

rstoops1
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
2001 GL1800A ABS

Postby rstoops1 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:08 am

Yes, I replaced the bushings. The fork tube came with a new bushing installed and I had a new bushing to replace the old slider bushing.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”