Removal of heat shield on a 2009 wing.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
k-rod
Motorcycle: 2009gl 1800

Removal of heat shield on a 2009 wing.

Postby k-rod » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:14 am

I am in the process of installing a vance and hines exhaust on my 2009 goldwing. The problem i am having is that when the exhaust is installed there is a 1/8 inch gap between the heat shield and the exhaust. The instructions say that the heat shield can be adjusted. How do i get to the hexagon nut? The lower cover that is covering the heat shield nut needs to be removed or at least partially. How do i get this cover off? Also anyone else out there installed this system? :idea: posting.php?mode=post&f=10#

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Removal of heat shield on a 2009 wing.

Postby themainviking » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:42 am

There is a quicky video of the installation here, but it did not show having to adjust the heat shields:

One thing I found mentioned was taking care to ensure the tabs on the pipes line up with the slots on the heat shields or they will not fit together nicely.....

Don't know if it will help you at all, but it is something. I just googled it, and quite a bit of stuff came up.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

k-rod
Motorcycle: 2009gl 1800

Postby k-rod » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:50 am

Thanks for the info. I also saw the video that vance and hines posted. I wish it was that easy. When you install the muffler onto the exhaust header and with the tabs lined up to the slots on the heat shield the muffler comes up short of the heat shield due to the fact that the muffler hits the collar on the exhaust header. It does not fit flush. In the directions it states that removal of the heat shield (or adjustment may be required so it fits.) I am starting to have my doubts that this will work. But i won't know until i get the cover off that hides nut to the heat shield. I personally think the pipes are not to spec. It should not be this difficult. Thanks.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:18 pm

Yeah, if they are that difficult, or even impossible to line up, I would send them back. If they get enough of them back, maybe they will fix the problem.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”