GL1800 Legs up wheels

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Hammer5150
Motorcycle: 2006 GW 1800

GL1800 Legs up wheels

Postby Hammer5150 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:46 pm

I am interested in any review on the Leg up wheels for the GL1800.
I want to know the good, bad and ugly.
Thanks for your opinions.

Hammer5150

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Re: GL1800 Legs up wheels

Postby Bamaeagle » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:58 pm

I have never seen them in person so I can not offer any advice on them.

Here is their website though in case you do not have it.

http://www.landingear.com/
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

liljack
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Postby liljack » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:55 am

Met a guy when I was in Georgia recently who had Landing Gear on his 1800. Said it wasn't comfortable when the gear deployed at low speed as it rocks the bike when the wheels hit the ground.

Hammer5150
Motorcycle: 2006 GW 1800

Postby Hammer5150 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:33 pm

liljack wrote:Met a guy when I was in Georgia recently who had Landing Gear on his 1800. Said it wasn't comfortable when the gear deployed at low speed as it rocks the bike when the wheels hit the ground.

Thank you. I want the good and the bad. I am tired of laying the bike over in a slow turn. Legs are getting weak in my old age. I am taking my time and researching the wheels. They are very pricy, for sure.

docgood
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby docgood » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:38 pm

I bought a set from a mate who needed some cash to help him go to trike. He fitted the Legs up after a stroke but they were not enuff to allow him to keep biking so he went trike conversion. Now that was expensive here in Aussie. Well I had another mate fit the legs up on my 2009 GL1800 and would I do it again, no. I paid about half price and still too dear for what they do. They are great for the odd time I use them, like riding into the fuel stop or into the supermarket parking. Mine has a bit of trouble getting its brain about what I want it to do.
Might be something in the computer not knowing or operator error. I did not fit the front wheel speed signal part, I use it manual everytime I want to use the device. Bit scared that they might come down at the wrong place, we have some heavy cambered roads here in Australia. No I would not mount them again, and if it wasn't such a big job for me I would take them off. Let me just say, they are handy at times and particularly at road works stoppages and we have plenty of them here now in Queensland state after our floods.We can be held up for a long time at times.My installer did say that the supplied install instructions are very good.

cact57s1
Motorcycle: 2006, GL1800 Goldwing

Postby cact57s1 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:09 am

Why not look at a RoadSmith trike kit or similar? I just bought an 06 GL1800 with a Roadsmith kit and love it.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:30 am

Hammer5150 wrote:I am tired of laying the bike over in a slow turn. Legs are getting weak in my old age. I am taking my time and researching the wheels. They are very pricy, for sure.

With a thousand pound motorcycle, very few people can stop the bike if it decides to lay down. I feel that I am just about as strong as I am ever gonna be, and the rest of life will be a downhill slide, and if the bike decides to lay over, and I try to stop it, I hurt myself. I pull muscles in places where I did not even know there were muscles. If I were to give advice in this situation, Hammer, it would be to go trike rather than legs up landing gear. I have always been a "Go Big or Go Home" sorta guy (for me, you understand, as I am NOT a give advice sorta person) I think it is still not beyond the realm of possibility to put a bike on it's side even with the Landing Gear installed. With a trike conversion, this becomes next to impossible.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:27 pm

I have the landing gear on my 98 1500..I wrote a review on a previous thread. I would not recommend it for the cost. I have it because it came with the bike. I basicly use it as a centerstand and for very slow moving around in a parking lot or gas station. Will NEVER deploy it again while moving. They track the crown angle of the road, not the position you normally keep the bike (straight up and down), on a curved piece of pavement. This can cause major steering problems. I have done it twice and both times, I ran off the road because the slope threw me that way. The same if taking off with them down. When they come up you will be leaning the same as the tilt of the road. If you are not prepared to pull it upright, you could drop it or cause you to steer into something you don't want to hit, like a curb. Also, are pretty much useless when off pavement and in dirt and unlevel ground. Your rear drive wheel will just spin if you hit a small rut. No more forward movement. Found this a problem at the campsites at most rallies. Now all that said, they are nice in parking lots, gas stations, motel drive in parking lots, (nice when backing in a trailer), and things like that. But never will use while moving again. My suggestion is if having problems handling the bike moving, go to a trike. If I thought I could get a decent price, maybe would take it off and sell it, but there is a lot to it from installation/removal point and don't want to take it off to sell unless I knew I could get a couple grand for it.
Another problem I found out is that I can't use the TPMS system I bought on the rear wheel because a sensor is in the way and the TPMS valve top hits on it. Will have to change the valve stem to straight up type. Not gonna remove that rear tire again just for that. Too much trouble with the landing gear on there. Another problem. Had no dealer that would touch it to put new tire on with that on. Could be a problem traveling if I ever need a tire replaced as I did a couple years ago in St. George, Utah. Lucky I was on my 84 1200 on that trip. Now will have to rely on plugs if I have a flat and hope I never ruin a tire before getting it plugged. Just some things to consider.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”